caledonian canal anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotmitchy

My friend - new to cyclign this week - fancies doing a two day caledonian canal tour in September.

What might we expect. Her top distance so far was today's 17 miler.

We don't mind not doing a huge distance, maybe 25 miles each day, but I am not sure of the terrain at all.

Can anyone help?

J-Lo

Not sure about cycling there, but fort augustus is nice for a stop-off. Some good little pubs and a chippy, local shop, nice atmosphere with people pottering about and of course the boats! Good cycle path along the canal, imagine it goes for miles.

lpretro1

There is a waymarked route - what used to be officially the Great Glen Cycle Way until a few years ago - all the way through from Fort William to Inverness using the canal towpath, forest tracks and quiet roads. You should be able to get info about it from the TIC or look here http://www.greatglenway.com/. The towpath parts are obviously very flat - the forest roads have one or two climbs but nothing horrendous. Recommend uysing an mtb or hybrid type bike with fatter tyres - not a pure road bike. Don't consider cycling along the main A82 - you will probably die! Hostels in Fort Will (YHA) & Invergarry (independent) that I know of. You wouldn't have to cycle the whole route - perhaps just out to Invergarry and then back?

DSCF0087.jpg

P6216293.jpg

P6200007.jpg

P6216301.jpg

P6246624.jpg

P6226404.jpg

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

Thanks all - maybe I wasn't clear, we will cycle for two days and finish what we can, not expect to do it all in two days lol!

OP
OP
Scotmitchy

Scotmitchy

oh, and those photos look fab!

Alun

Guru
Excellent cycling, tacked it on after the Sustrans Lochs and Glens last year, hope you have good weather!
Again, steer clear of the A82. The photos are a fair representation of the route.

Thanks all - maybe I wasn't clear, we will cycle for two days and finish what we can, not expect to do it all in two days lol!

If that is the case then the first part is easy, and fair going, until you start getting off road when it becomes steep and muddy if wet. Some of the downhill sections are going to require "technical" skills if wet

The big problem you re going to have is where to stop. Rail is limited on this rute and "escape routes" are going to involve some nasty roads.

We found this a good guide and although dedicated to walking this website was useful with accommodation.

One stop you must make though is the Eagle Barge - a fantastic little gem of a "pub" by Laggan Locks.

358x228%20eagle%20barge.jpg

Top Bottom