Caledonian sleeper.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

breydonboy

Hi,
I'm beginning to plan a spring tour around highlands/islands.
Does anyone have experience of the Caledonian Sleeper service from London Euston?
Many thanks.

Bodhbh

Guru
I looked into it in early May, hoping to get the bike up there for a long weekend in June. It was completely booked up except for the first class tickets costing several hundred quid, I got the impression the sleeper carridges pretty much get snapped up as soon as they go out, although I can't remember if the seats were also booked up. Unlike regular trains you need a seat reservation at least to travel, no good just turning up.

U

User482

Yes, I took the sleeper from Inverness to Euston last September. Book a ticket as early as you can or it will cost a fortune, plus remember to reserve your bike. Weekdays seem cheaper than fridays/ weekends, plus sometimes there are "bargain berths" at rock bottom prices. Train itself was very comfortable, and has a bar you can go and relax in.

One thing to note - the train splits and turns round in the night - so your bike won't be where you think you left it. Imagine my panic at Euston when I thought my bike had gone to Edinburgh!

snorri

Legendary Member
Normally you have to share a cabin, unless you take a First Class ticket, however if you buy two Bargain Berths, the cost will still be less than that of a Standard ticket, and you get the cabin to yourself.:wacko:

melliff

My partner and I have used the sleeper service to Glasgow and back from Edinburgh. Look out for the bargain berths which are usually available 3 months ahead. There are 6 cycle spaces on the Euston-Glasgow and Euston-Edinburgh routes but only 2 on the services to Inverness.

snorri

Legendary Member
Bromptonaut said:
AFAIK there is no through van on the Fort William portion - you need to move the bike when the trsinis being reformed!!!
The train staff move luggage including bikes when required, that's why you are warned not to lock it to the structure of the guards van.

U

User482

snorri said:
The train staff move luggage including bikes when required, that's why you are warned not to lock it to the structure of the guards van.

Wish I knew that beforehand - I thought my bike had gone to Edinburgh!

Bodhbh

Guru
melliff said:
There are 6 cycle spaces on the Euston-Glasgow and Euston-Edinburgh routes but only 2 on the services to Inverness.
Given the lack of cycle spaces on this service, I wondered how those who have used it booked their bike spaces? Those 2 bike spaces seem at a premium.

There doesn't seem to be any means online, I wouldn't be too happy managing to get a cheap berth, then finding their are no bike spaces when I phoned up to reserve.

These can be booked via the advance desks in train stations along with checking bike space availability and booking it in one go?

U

User482

Bodhbh said:
Given the lack of cycle spaces on this service, I wondered how those who have used it booked their bike spaces? Those 2 bike spaces seem at a premium.

There doesn't seem to be any means online, I wouldn't be too happy managing to get a cheap berth, then finding their are no bike spaces when I phoned up to reserve.

These can be booked via the advance desks in train stations along with checking bike space availability and booking it in one go?

Best to phone them - they'll reserve your bike space and issue you with a reservation ticket. If you find a bargain berth online, can you get it by giving the date and time over the phone?

Bodhbh

Guru
User482 said:
Best to phone them - they'll reserve your bike space and issue you with a reservation ticket. If you find a bargain berth online, can you get it by giving the date and time over the phone?
Yes, thinking about it probably the best thing is to phone and go thru the motions trying to check availability for both berths and bike spots in April, even tho I don't plan to travel till later in the year. At least then will know how it all works and can book a berth ASAP when they become available 12 weeks prior to travel.

If seem to be making a fuss of it, been trying to book a berth up there the previous 2 years and been too late to get anything affordable, not going to drop the ball this time :smile:

andym

Über Member
Yep I love the Caledonian sleeper. The Bargain Berths are probably the greatest bargain in rail travel - very civilized. You do need to book early, but even during the Edinburgh Festival you can still get tickets. I've only ever seen one person with a bike.

I have used it twice, and had no problems

First time £30 for the cabin (on my own) and second time £19 for the same trip to Inverness

Top Bottom