Calf Cramps...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You may have read that I’ve managed to cycle quite a bit more recently, and I’m nourishing and hydrating correctly (I think).
Last night I had the worst calf cramp I’ve had for a long long time, through the night, and still with pain now, although thankfully the spasms did end during early morning.
Ive been eating principally vegan/vegetarian for the last 4 years, but this week have had chips for evening meal on 3 occasions, with pizza twice.
I also did a 4 mile walk, along the sand and pebbles, after being desk bound the whole day.
I have an idea That my electrolytes may have been low, and possibly low hydration too... any other ideas..?

Drago

Legendary Member
The moment it strikes whack a bag of frozen peas on it. As a last resort drench it at close range from a deodorant spray. The cold causes the muscles to relax almost instantly.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My guess would be a touch of over use. The soleus and the gastrocnemius (the calves) aren't power generating muscles in the pedal stroke, but stabilising ones.

You say you've increased your riding a good bit more :bicycle: + a walk over sand and pebbles would definitely contribute

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I often get cramps in my right leg at night ( always the right leg incidentally) and I put it down to my medication ( statins ). A small price to pay for a lower cholesterol.

Drago

Legendary Member
@gavroche youd get less cramps if you had an ebike.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Try a soluble Mg tablet in a glass of water after a ride ... and extra salt on your food if it’s been a long one - works for me :becool:

Top Bottom