Calf muscles - not quite cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TWB

I'm currently cycling and running at the moment, but after runs I'm getting really tight and painful calf muscles. I warm them first and have taken to rolling them on a Pilates roller after. Any ideas???

I know it totally cycling related but just though I'd ask any way…

Thanks

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Are you warming up prior to starting your run, stretching and bending the legs to get the muscles warmed up towards the end of your run are you "warming down" slowing down from a run to a jog then a steady walk before heading indoors and once again stretching those muscles before sitting down with a cuppa.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have crazy tight and shirt calves, combination of cycling and sitting at a desk and probably anatomy

Stretching daily as well as proper warm up and warm down might well help you, but it'll take a while to improve. If it continues, an assessment from a sports physio knowledgeable about cycling might be of value

DRHysted

Guru
See a physio and get yourself checked for your biomechanics.
I only went after I tore my Calf only to find my hips, knees & ankles weren't working correctly & now I have a range of exercises to correct them. It's working because I did a Half Marathon last week without aftereffects.
Strangely I'm not to do any of the stretching exercises within half an hour before or after running, so warm up by starting gently, and cool down by incorporating a short walk at the end. This may be individual to my situation, so my advise is get profession advice (my physio says it would have be best to see her when I restarted exercise in 2010 and not wait until I'd damaged myself this year).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have crazy tight and shirt calves, combination of cycling and sitting at a desk and probably anatomy

Stretching daily as well as proper warm up and warm down might well help you, but it'll take a while to improve. If it continues, an assessment from a sports physio knowledgeable about cycling might be of value
What is a shirt calf whenits at home?

Top Bottom