Calling a musician.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I know nothing about music theory, but I enjoy blowing my harmonica. All my harmonicas are tuned to G. I have no reason for that, just that G seems to suit me. What difference would I find playing an instrument tuned to C Major?

RhythMick

Über Member
It would be lower. Or higher.

Seriously, it will be in tune with itself so you'll be able to play happily. It will only make a difference if you're playing with others or to music.

I never got on with wind instruments myself. I like piano and guitar, where a C is a C is a C.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've struggled to get my head around this myself. When I was playing in a band that used guitars tuned to E then I was told to get a harmonica tuned to C, which I did, but then the harmonica part of our set became a sort of running joke whereby I would play really badly and end up using the harmonica as a slide on my bass.

So in summary if you're playing with yourself then you'll be in a different key.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Thanks guys. So I take it I just play exactly the same as far as playing is concerned. I play mostly when I am alone, in the early hours on the beach when I am overnight fishing :wacko:

I asked because I see Lidl are selling one next week and for the price it's worth a blow. It is certainly a whole lot cheaper than my Hohners for a cheapie to throw in my tackle box.

Norm

IMO, you won't notice any difference between harps in different keys if you only play alone.

Harps and guitars might need to be in different keys, and many instruments will 'naturally' come in one key, such as the clarinet (the vast majority are B flat) or the sax. The joy of the keyboards is that you can play in whatever key anyone wants. ;)

Top Bottom