Calling all Hope R4 or R2 owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Call it curiosity and god knows why im looking at a light that costs me almost three days wages but has any of you tried any 3rd party battery packs with your lights??

I have a few 4, 6 & 8 cell battery packs bought from Torchythebatteryboy off ebay that I have lying around and paying almost £200 'isnt so bad' if i know i can get good value out of it by using the batteries i have.

Other lights Im considering is the Gemini Duo or the Gemini Xera 850/950 lights. ChainReaction have a small sale on and I can pick up just the head unit (without the battery pack) for a much lower price including BC discount.

I already know and have heard that Hope make very very high quality products and have some of the best customer service out there should anything go wrong.

Im looking to do more rides like the DD & FnRTTC this year.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Really? Nobody here has any input?

oldstrath

Über Member
Smudge's work as well as the original pack. Honestly though I think his Lumenator and 800 are at least as good as the Hopes.

Just noticed this is mainly road riding - I'd stick with BuMM for that - the Ixon Premium takes AA, and is plenty light for road use in the Highlands in winter.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is no reason why you can't use a different pack. There are quite a few solarstorm or pannovo packs (without batteries) available via ebay or amazon now. So long as the Hope uses 7.4-8.2v supply then these are OK. Just buy quality 18650 batteries. You will have to change the connectors though - re-using the old hope battery connector and use shrink wrap to make the joins water tight.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'd drop Torchy a message. He's a very knowledgeable chap on batteries, lights etc., and helpful as well.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
There is no reason why you can't use a different pack. There are quite a few solarstorm or pannovo packs (without batteries) available via ebay or amazon now. So long as the Hope uses 7.4-8.2v supply then these are OK. Just buy quality 18650 batteries. You will have to change the connectors though - re-using the old hope battery connector and use shrink wrap to make the joins water tight.

thanks. This was more or less the answer i was looking for in a way.

Like i mentioned in my previous post, I already had 3 battery packs of various capacities purchased from Torchy on ebay and i wanted to know if i could have a 'straight swap' with battery packs but since theres some modding involved, I don't think i'll bother. I'll probably pick up a a Gemini Duo 850 head unit and call it a day

fossyant

thanks. This was more or less the answer i was looking for in a way.

Like i mentioned in my previous post, I already had 3 battery packs of various capacities purchased from Torchy on ebay and i wanted to know if i could have a 'straight swap' with battery packs but since theres some modding involved, I don't think i'll bother. I'll probably pick up a a Gemini Duo 850 head unit and call it a day

I would try and pick up the Yinding 2xU2 - it's a copy but it's blooming excellent. There are copies of the Yinding which aren't as good. Just go for the head unit and use current packs.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_126086.html

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I would try and pick up the Yinding 2xU2 - it's a copy but it's blooming excellent. There are copies of the Yinding which aren't as good. Just go for the head unit and use current packs.

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_126086.html

thanks for that. Just had a quick google. Mixed albeit mainly positive reviews. MTBR forum review says batteries were junk and the unit was prone to overheating if you had it on high while you were stationary.

Have you used or have one these lights yourself?

fossyant

thanks for that. Just had a quick google. Mixed albeit mainly positive reviews. MTBR forum review says batteries were junk and the unit was prone to overheating if you had it on high while you were stationary.

Have you used or have one these lights yourself?

I have had one for 3 years. It doesn't overheat in the UK. Used it commuting a couple of winters ago and it's totally waterproof. It's great off road and gives a good even spread of light. Just use an existing battery pack.

OP
OP
RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Well, Im currently trying my luck with a few magicshine & Hope R4 lights on ebay, all of them say they have been slightly used (of course they would) so Im going to try pick up a bargain. Theres an R4+4cell battery thats currently at £51. MJ-872 that comes with the improved MJ-828 battery currently standing at £25 and an
Magicshine MJ-880 currently at £50.

If all fails then i'll pick up the Yinding :tongue:

::EDIT::

Or if worst does come to worst. I can always pick up this Solar Storm rebadge off torchy's ebay shop :tongue:

Last edited:
Top Bottom