Calories Counting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am sure some (or perhaps most) of you will disagree with me but here are my views.

The key to weight loss is healthy life style. That is healthy eating and regular exercise.
We all have a reasonable idea on what is healthy eating. It is not counting calories. If you feel like counting calories, that is usually an indication that you know you are not eating healthy.
With regard to exercise, make it regular but not too often that it takes the enjoyment out of it.
Remember these are long term, life long, goals.

Counting calories, keeping an eye on every bit of what you eat, monitoring heart rate to maximise your training are for professional athletes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Vickster, I meant an additional 250-500 on top of the 750 odd from my omlette meal.

Midliferider, I agree about healthy eating, but it's never got me quite where I want to be. To be fair, where I want to be is >10% bodyfat. I'm not a high level athlete, but I am an athlete. Was in top 50 for my events nationally (Masters age categorised), off my best now due to changing from sprint to endurance events, and trying to get to grips with eating/ nutrition for endurance as opposed to sprint training.

vickster

Legendary Member
>10% body fat is easy peasy ;)

If you mean <10% however. Maybe your body type simply isn't designed that way if you are to be healthy. Pay to see a performance coach to help with diet etc if it's that important

OP
OP
B

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Sorry got wrong symbol. Yes, 10% I've found easy for years. But been trying to get under. I may pay to see a coach, but interested to see what happens with more endurance type training.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Men especially lose muscle as they get older and gain more fat. Try introducing some weight lifting into your exercise regime and some higher intensity work outs on the bike. Diet alone won't prevent what occurs naturally, even if your overal weight stays the same or even diminishes.

GravityFighter

Über Member
Calculations and forumlae, whether for BMR, body fat or calorie consumption, should be used as a rough guide only. Everybody's different and you have to learn what works and is sustainable for you.

I spent my twenties not worrying too much about what I ate but keeping active and trying to be generally healthy. Now I'm 32, I keep a much closer eye on my food intake, eating 2,250 - 2,500kcal a day and avoiding processed foods, sugar and alcohol 99% of the time. This has kept me around 15 - 17% bodyfat and 11 stone 7lbs, which I'd call my natural "fighting weight".

What I have found since starting cycling is that a 40 - 60 mile morning or afternoon on the bike can make me really hungry though. Then I just eat cake ;-)

Keep it simple and your body will let you know what it needs.

Top Bottom