Camber

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffoi

For some reason this year I have been noticing the camber on the roads more than I ever did before (had the trike over a year now - ice QNT)

I am finding the camber on the local roads a little disconcerting.

Am I just being mard? Or is there something that I need to check on my trike?

I have lost about 10kg recently, could that have a bearing on this? Or could it be because I'm maybe riding faster? Or is it just that I noticed it once whilst a bit tired and now I'm being paranoid about it and that's making it worse?

Any thoughts accepted.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
What problems are you having?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Which has nothing to do with height off ground hence puzzled by comment above.
It has indeed got nothing to do with height. Of the two wheels on a trike one is always going to be lower than the other if on a steep camber therefore the whole trike leans one way. On the same camber both wheels on a bike are at the same level but you simply stay vertical unless consciously leaning for a corner.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Ah, but lower COG trikes have noticeably less difficulty than higher COG trikes - and that is to do with height, surely.

My pennyworth: Unless you've a) grown in height over the last 12 months of ownership - so your COG is not as low as it used to be ;), or b) had the misfortune of being preached to by a flat-earther :wacko:, I think you got it right with your own analysis -

Am I just being mard?

Or is it just that I noticed it once whilst a bit tired and now I'm being paranoid about it and that's making it worse?

Don't worry about it. Be happy. :okay:

A trike on a camber doesn't move as you would expect.
If you lean to your right to counteract the camber then the trike will try and turn left down the camber.
By leaning the wrong way you can steer a trike hands off.
Also if you don't compensate for any shoulder movements with corresponding small movements of your hands then it will turn left even quicker.
The classic case is a novice trike rider ending up in the ditch because of these two effects.
The lower the trike the less noticeable these effects are, which is why recumbent trikes are easier to control than upright trikes.
So you've probably got so used to how the trike handles on the flat that you've finally noticed how the handling changes when on a camber.

Luck ....... ^_^

OP
OP
jeffoi

jeffoi

Thanks all. I'll just keep at it and hope I learn to ignore it. It may also be to do with the cold? Makes my shoulders and arms more tense so I don't adjust as naturally for the camber.

It's annoying is all, makes me feel unstable at times. But I cope. Keep going :smile:

Top Bottom