Campag 10 speed vs 11 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Another question folks in preparation for the new bike purchase.

Campag Centaur 10 speed vs Campag 11 Speed Athena

Is the 11 speed worth it in terms of cost of replacements etc
Will be using the bike for racing and long rides.

Any views? Any people used both or either?

Don't think I have ever deliberated for so long on a bike...!

Will1985

Über Member
I'm trawling this topic up again because I'm after the same sort of information.

My TT bike will remain 9 speed for the moment, although can easily be upgraded to 10 with the index gear from Mercian. The road bike too can go the same route as I changed the internals of the Ergos from 10 to 9 - easy reversal procedure.
However, I think I may get a new light road bike for summer use next year which will inevitably be 11 speed if off the peg. Any road racing I intend to do will be on alloy frames, but being a serial wheel swapper this could make my life difficult. In short, all road bikes (current Bianchi, winter, and future bling) will have to be the same speed...10 or 11.

11 speed users:
- do you know if the cranks are identical between 10 and 11 speed (just thinner chainrings)? Lack of UT carbon compacts if I go 10s might need an 11 speed crank with 10s rings if possible.
- what is cassette and chain wear like, particularly compared to 10 speed?

lukesdad

Ive heard via the club when they re set up right theyre poetry in motion the trouble is setting them up!

GrahamG

Guru
Base it on looks - the Athena looks nicer ;)

I'm actually thinking of downgrading from 10 speed to 8 speed - £50+ on a new cassette and chain every 2000 miles is a bit crap as far as I'm concerned, I'll get at least 3 times that from an 8 speed drivetrain and the replacement cost is probably less than half.

Top Bottom