Campag 8 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I own a Fausto Coppi which is equipped with Campag Mirage 8 speed. Last autumn the chain collected the rear mech, and dragged it into the rear wheel. This bent the rear dropout for the mech, as well as rendering the mech useless. On inspection the dropout appears an easy fix, as was the wheel (just a few spokes). My problem now is. The chainset shows lots of wear, as does the cassette. I've tried ebay for the bits, but there's not much on, mainly 9/10/11 spd stuff. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to any alternative parts which will do the job. This is going to be demoted to a work/bad weather/ winter training bike, as i intend to buy a new 'best' bike in the summer. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chain rings - go to Ribble and get the 135mm BCD stronglight rings. 9 speed chain rings are fine. Stronglights come in Dural (cheaper) and Zircal (dearer) flavours - both good.

Sprockets/cassettes - I know shimano cassettes/sprockets are easy to get in 8 speed - not so sure about campag.... Anyone.

The problem is that the Mirage cassettes in them days came as a one piece set and this crossed over to the first 9spd Mirage range(with slight but important differences). In addition Campag changed the rear hub design over the range just to make things user friendly -not:angry:!

You will therefore need an original cassette or a new wheel.

You could try Mercian as they sometimes get hold of old stock

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/

Buy a suitable eight speed cassette.
Buy a nine speed chain and nine or ten speed rings and a nine or ten speed mech.

It'll all work perfectly well, it's what I did to my 1993 Veloce equipped Super last year.

Top Bottom