Campag - Shimano compatabilty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could someone tell me whether 10 speed campag levers will operate a 105 Shimano rear mech.
The logic behind my thinking is I have both of these items and a 10 speed cassette on a wheel and I would like to use these on a bike I am building. My thinking says that it should work because the rear mech can cope with the gear range and its the levers that are indexed.Am I correct in my thinking !

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
nope!

different ratios!!

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks

MadoneRider1991

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Just so I understand what you are saying , you say they are different ratios but isn't the movement of the rear mech determined by the movement of the lever.What I mean is that I can manually get all the gears by moving the rear mech so doesn't it follow that the lever once connected up will only move it efficiently.
By asking this question I am not by the way refuting your knowledge but rather try to seek a better understanding of the problem.

Thanks for your time and did you see Cancellara win the T of Flanders what a brilliant win. Cheers Ted

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The answer is no. You can read all about it here especially you are building from bits.

Some combinations work, e.g. if you are happy running a Shimano 8 speed cassette then it would be ok.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks..

lazyfatgit that was my logic as well.

But I must profess I have fettled with bikes for many years now,how I am not dead having set up many brakes for years I will never know, so I always welcome advice from people that most probably know more than I do.

Reading the replies especially the hyper link convinced me that what I was trying was not possible but just like you I really don't see why not because as you say the index part comes from the levers.
Incidentally as well I brought what the call MODOLO levers off of Ebay and they unbelievably can be adjusted to Shimano - Campaq 7 8 9 10 speed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The Shimano mech has a different geometry and will not move the same amount as the Campg mech per shift, so it will not work.

There are ways round it, one being to Google "Shiftmate" to find a device that will solve the problem.

Top Bottom