Campag v Shimano Hoods

What hoods do you find most comfortable?

• Campag

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Shimano

• SRAM

• Or Another (please say :-))

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
My hands develop a rash and blisters whenever I touch anything Shimano, so I stick to Campagnolo :smile: B)

Being serious now, I've only tried STIs on a turbo but felt they were too big for me.

Young Un

I can only comment on Shimano as that's all I have, but I do find when I ride glove-less on the hoods that I get blosters on the thumb side of my palm in the fleshy pad bit. This is something that is tempting me to try campag on my next bike (need to test ride some campag first though to see if it is the hoods or just my hands).

MajorMantra

Of the hoods I've tried, I prefer Campag - I find the Shimano ones a bit bulky. I've not ridden with SRAM though and they look quite comfy. Also, some of the newest Shimano stuff like DA 7900 looks improved as they appeared to have toned down the hugeness.;)

Matthew

Bigtwin

Campy is of course vastly superior in all respects save for this one. I have large hands, on account of tremendous sexual prowess, and find that my DA hoods are far better to get a hold of when climbing out of the saddle.

One day I'm going to strip out a set of ShimaNO levers and slap in some Campy inners. Or get Campy to make an XL hood. That said, I haven't tried the newest Campy levers, but they don't look to be any larger.

yenrod

I've said Shimano as ive used them for ages but never liked the shape AND THE ACTION of the campy levers...though I like the look of them though (carbon) !

Ive used the short/small STi's...and the big ones (Tiagras) and not bothered by either - the bigger ones have more to grab hold of...maybe a 'mans' hand likes that??????

I do !

SRAM though are very intrigueing ! - id luv to do a ride with them and see what i think...ive thought of them (in use) & but still come back to the action of shimano being the best (for some reason) ;)

mr-marty-martin

campags defantly the better hood, why do you think shimano is copying of campag with there new hood shape...very very much like campag...

lazyfatgit

I used to like the variety of squigy rubber hoods available for my Weinmann levers. Are there no 3rd party alternatives available for the current manufacturers?

bonj2

yenrod said:
SRAM though are very intrigueing ! - id luv to do a ride with them and see what i think...ive thought of them (in use) & but still come back to the action of shimano being the best (for some reason) :biggrin:

they're really good... you do have to get used to what they mean by 'double-tap' - that is, literally just tap slightly harder than for an upshift it so that it clicks twice instead of once, rather than give it a good old shove, which is what you do if you want to change down a few gears at once...it's almost like you don't actually have to pull any tension, but just 'double-tap' it instead... easy and really good once you've got used to it!

MajorMantra

lazyfatgit said:
I used to like the variety of squigy rubber hoods available for my Weinmann levers. Are there no 3rd party alternatives available for the current manufacturers?

There are Hudz but I don't think they radically alter the shape of the hoods.

Matthew

Top Bottom