Campagnolo 8 speed wheel / freehub sourcing issues / questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Righto my 8 speed wheel and freehub are borked and looking at options given trying to source the above is proving a challenge...

Its a steel frame so am I right in saying that options I have are:-

Changing to campag 9 speed wheel as well as changing shifter, derailleur and chain and cold setting the frame to take the extra width. Not sure if I would have to replace chainrings as well.

Campag 9 speed wheel and cassette with 1 ring removed and a spacer kit used.

Shimano 8 speed wheel and cassette but use spacers from my current campag cassette

Shimano 8 speed wheel and cassette, campag derailleur and a Jtek shiftmate

Shimano 8 speed wheel with a 9 speed Miche cassette with campag spacing but remove one of the rings and use a spacer kit.

Confused.com :wacko:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You can't mix normal spacers - they don't have the same diameter, spline, and sprocket thickness are different. If you want to fiddle with special spacers you need to see this. Personally, I think shiftmate type things are not ideal because they introduce another interface for problems.

A simple "modern" solution is to go 7 speed, because Campag 8 speed sprockets happen to have exactly the same pitch as all current 7 speed systems, whether freewheel or cassette. So for example any 7 speed cassette plus spacer on any 130mm road hub/wheel would work just fine. A solution to retain 8 speed without changing shifters is to get a "new old stock" or secondhand Campag 8 hub/wheel from ebay. Given Campag 8 is obsolete, it might be worth assessing the shifters' condition in terms of how long they might last.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The price of Campagnolo 8/9 speed stuff is rising - especially the hubs/shifters - and will get worse.

I went second hand 10 speed for not much more than second hand 9 speed - the only downside is that the cost of cassettes are a bit higher (or a lot if you go Record titanium!)- but you do get a lot better ride due to smaller gaps between gears.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crap isn't it.

Still ok with my old Dura Ace that is shifter and mech limited, but can still get the UG sprockets from the U S.

Hyper glide, I can take a dremmel to the elongated sprocket slot.

Can you not look at aftermarket sprockets ?

OP
OP
4F

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yep its a bit crappy, I think I am probably going to go down the 10 speed route. Will stick to riding my fixed whilst thinking about it and keep an eye out on eBay for either a group set or donor bike with the right kit. Shame really as I had just spent the last 4 months stripping and rebuilding it and it is so comfortable to ride as 16 hours over the past weekend showed

Top Bottom