Campagnolo Cassettes ratios

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennydorano

Veteran
Maybe a slightly misleading topic title, but I've near enough settled on my a new Ribble bike I'm going to invest in. Leaning towards a Campy Centaur set up, had previously been leaning towards a triple but as a triple doesn't seem to be available it would have to be a double with a 13-29 cassette to compensate. I assume it's a reasonable set up to have and it shouldn't effect shifting performance?

Also - with Shimano 105 triples, 50 seems to be the standard for big ring? Could a bigger 'big ring' be accommodated (by Ribble i mean)?

colly

Re member eR
I have a campag compact chainset, 50/34. I swapped it for a 52 39 that had worn out. I left the old cassette in place and it worked fine. I think it was 13/23. I renewed the cassette recently and went for a more hill friendly 13/28 and that works ok too. The shifters are Veloce and the rest is a mix of Mirage/Chorus/dunno. It all seems to work together without any drama.

Having said that this last weekend saw me unable to get into the second largest sprocket. Changing either up or down it just seemed to miss it out.

Edit: Mind you the brake levers/gear change must be 10 years old and all the other bits are of varying ages so I suppose a niggle had to crop up eventually.

Alun

Guru
I have a centaur compact setup with a 13-29 cassette, have done over 3000 miles without any problems, shifting has been reliable and I'm impressed with it.

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
After going through buikebuilder about 50 times with various permutations I eventually have purchased - the Stealth, with 105 & Mavic Equipe wheels, Double with 11-28 Cassette.

Also - with Shimano 105 triples, 50 seems to be the standard for big ring? Could a bigger 'big ring' be accommodated (by Ribble i mean)?
At the moment I'm running an FSA compact on my Kinesis a 52/38, I think that is the largest you can fit to a shimano compact. My older sirrus which is a specialized tripple (shimano compatible) runs a 30/42/52. I guess you'd be able to fit at least a 52 to a Shimano tripple.

Top Bottom