Campagnolo Scirocco 35 Wheels - Bearing replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
Hi,

Hoping that some kind soul can point me in the right direction. I need to replace the cartridge bearings in the front wheel, but I am unable to get the bit the slots into the drop outs out (circled in picture). It looks like it should just pull off, but I can only get to to move about 2mm. Until I can get it off I can get I cant get the bearings out. One suggestion I have seen elsewhere is that there is a cir-clip, if there is one in there I cant see it! Not wanting to break the thing so I thought I'd ask here. The one the other end doesn't move at all.

wheel.JPG

U

User6179

I think if same as some Fulcrums the bit you circle has an Allen key fitment inside as does the opposite side .

Working left to right:

The circled bit as already stated has an hex key fitting inside - so you need an hex key in both ends and then undo the bit as normal.

Remove and also take off the washer next to it.

Then undo the hex bolt in the black lock nut by 2 turns only (the nut is at the top in the pic) - the lock nut should then unscrew as a whole.

Finally remove the bigger washer and then gently knock the O/S axle through the other side.

You can then tap the bearings out of the hub.

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
Thanks for the replies. The hole is perfectly round so there is nothing for the allen key to grip on. Apparently allen keys were used on the older wheels, these are 2014 wheels.

Sounds like they went with the "tight fit " approach but with you mentioning a circlip and special tool I wouldn't want to advise brute force.

The only thing I can suggest is a pm to @Graeme_FK who knows most things Campagnolo.

OP
OP
kipster

kipster

Guru
Thanks for all the suggestions, I found a German forum with someone having the same issue. Google kindly translated it and he had spoken to Campagnolo who suggested it just pulled off. I gave it a go and indeed it did, I had to use two screwdrivers and some persuasion but it came out. There is a rubber band around it that obviously needs to compress. No circlip in sight, bearing puller on order, i'll fabricate a press.

Here is a picture of the offending item
image.jpg

samric

Hi,

Hoping that some kind soul can point me in the right direction. I need to replace the cartridge bearings in the front wheel, but I am unable to get the bit the slots into the drop outs out (circled in picture). It looks like it should just pull off, but I can only get to to move about 2mm. Until I can get it off I can get I cant get the bearings out. One suggestion I have seen elsewhere is that there is a cir-clip, if there is one in there I cant see it! Not wanting to break the thing so I thought I'd ask here. The one the other end doesn't move at all.

View attachment 58579

I've been trying to find the Campy technical manual showing the wheel assembly, as per your screenshot. Could you possibly tell me how/where you got it?

Thanks!

I've been trying to find the Campy technical manual showing the wheel assembly, as per your screenshot. Could you possibly tell me how/where you got it?

Thanks!

The best breakdowns are in the Spares Catalogue as kipdster says.

Go to the page above and then : drop down under Support click Documentation/Spare Parts/then pick the year of manufacture.

woohoo

Veteran
I has the same problem when I regreased the bearings in my Fulcrum Quattros. The manuals are far from clear and I think it also varies by year of manufacture but the end bits on the Quattros also just pull off (with a bit of effort). Fortunately I only had to regrease rather than replace the bearings.

Top Bottom