Campagnolo Veloce gear questions. Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Well, I bought a Cinelli Experience Veloce 2013 recently, and it's great fun. The chain rings are 50/34 and the cassette is a bit demanding . My other bike had a Shimano 105 triple, and I cheated to get me up some hills with an "at death's door" combo of 28/28. The Cinelli is quite a bit friskier but I still need some gearing help. Here's the question.....
With a 50/34 chainring and chain stay distance of about 405mm, can I use a 13/29 cassette with a short cage 10 speed Veloce rear mech? The distance between the jockey wheels in the cage is 55 mm. Campy say that the chain capacity of that rear mech is 32 teeth , so it looks like it should be OK, but some people have said in other places that it breaks some rules.

( front large-front small) + ( back large-back small) = Capacity, I think

(50-34) + ( 29-13) = 32

The existing chain is 53 links, and it should work with 50/34 and 13/29 as well according to my online gear calculator.

Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

woohoo

Veteran
My previous bike had a 50/34 and 13-26 Campag short cage set-up as standard. (The chain stay was also 405mm.) For some "events" (a bit of a grand description for what they were) that involved a 17% climb, I switched to a 13-29 without any adjustments being required, albeit I never used the 50 + 29 combination, although it could cope with it on the work stand. I've no idea about the number of links on the chain because when I replaced them, I just shortened then to the same length as the original.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Well, I bought a Cinelli Experience Veloce 2013 recently, and it's great fun. The chain rings are 50/34 and the cassette is a bit demanding . My other bike had a Shimano 105 triple, and I cheated to get me up some hills with an "at death's door" combo of 28/28. The Cinelli is quite a bit friskier but I still need some gearing help. Here's the question.....
With a 50/34 chainring and chain stay distance of about 405mm, can I use a 13/29 cassette with a short cage 10 speed Veloce rear mech? The distance between the jockey wheels in the cage is 55 mm. Campy say that the chain capacity of that rear mech is 32 teeth , so it looks like it should be OK, but some people have said in other places that it breaks some rules.

( front large-front small) + ( back large-back small) = Capacity, I think

(50-34) + ( 29-13) = 32

The existing chain is 53 links, and it should work with 50/34 and 13/29 as well according to my online gear calculator.

Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you.
I had a 13-29 in for the Marmotte in my Veloce gearset. IIRC the bike shop lengthened the chain it was a 53/39 double with a 11-25 cassette when they changed it for a compact and a 13-29. FWIW it ran fine for the week before the Marmotte, the Alps and the week after when i changed the cassette back (11-25) to suit the flat terrain here.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'd go for it - and I'd leave the chain length as it is. You're within the Campag spec and the only problems are likely to be at the extremes - big/big or small/small which are best avoided anyway. Just remember to change chain rings in plenty of time.

Top Bottom