Campsite Recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I am going on a small trip through the New Forest and down to Lulworth Cove in a couple of weeks - can anyone recommend good campsites in both locations?

Am having difficulty in finding places which will let me book for just one night in the New Forest (we will just be passing through on the Friday - return leg will be tackled as a whole). Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mikeitup

Veteran
re

I am a regular camper and I always use this site. it is very useful. you will have to register but they have a campsite search with reviews from people who have used the sites. Very helpful.

www.ukcampsite.co.uk

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Thanks - I have been using it, and it is indeed a good site.

The problem I had was finding any that allowed bookings of less than two nights.

In the end, I stumbled across this: http://www.tomsfield.com/

They seem very friendly and very accommodating considering we will be arriving late and just for one night.

Percy

Holland Wood near the centre of Brokenhurst is a lovely site but more on the 'commercial' side, so not sure if they would have you for just one night. I've stayed there for short periods before, but that was a while ago (10 years plus - jesus, I'm getting old!). They had a special rate for backpackers/cyclists (i.e. people not in cars) so you may be OK if you explain your situation.

Another one to look at is Roundhill. I think they might say minimum of 2 nights if you book in advance but this is a very spacious site that often has spaces on busy weekends (i.e. hot bank hokllidays) when everywhere else is full, so if you're desperate you might be able to turn up just for the night.

This pub also has camping available - http://www.sirwaltertyrrell.co.uk/stay.html - there's a small garden area they use, which is very nice but often just reserved for families, or a large back field with portaloo toilets - not so nice but adequate. I've stayed there for one night before, on a weekend ride from Southampton to Swanage. It's right on the edge of the forest though so perhaps not en-route for you and at first glance the only way to it is via the dual carriageway, but there are small and quiet backroads leading to it - a decent map is a good idea to find them.

Top Bottom