Campy 10-s groupset cross-compatibility?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Isy315

Hi everyone!

After years of hard labour my Campy Centaur groupset is finally in need of some serious attention. The inner chainring is long past replacing but I have been putting it off because I know how tricky this might be... and so I ask for your expert help.

I want to stick with 10 speed (I like the traditional look of those chainsets with my steel frame, compared to Potenza etc., and would have gone Athena 11-speed if that wasn't being discontinued.. grr), but I'm so confused with compatibility between different 10-speed campy groupsets, and therefore have some questions:

I want to keep my chorus shifters. I have found a veloce compact chainset on a good deal. Will these be compatible? What about my centaur front mech which is fine? I realise TA make individual chainrings like here but this is talking about ultra torque, whereas my centaur is power torque. I am going to assume this won't fit my centaur?

I also took my bike to the lake district this month and realised a few more lower gears would be nice! I found a veloce cassette with max 29t. I need to get a new rear mech anyway (the screws are rusty and it's looking a bit grim), would this have to be veloce too? Or does this not really matter which groupset?

So I guess the upshot is, I'm looking at a mix of Chorus, Centaur and Veloce... any input would be much appreciated!

Isy

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use a mix of Centaur and Super Record on my TT bike, as long as you stick to 10spd I think you'll be fine.

si_c

Guru
I want to keep my chorus shifters. I have found a veloce compact chainset on a good deal. Will these be compatible? What about my centaur front mech which is fine? I realise TA make individual chainrings like here but this is talking about ultra torque, whereas my centaur is power torque. I am going to assume this won't fit my centaur?

If it has the same BCD it'll fit, the BB type is irrelevant, assuming you have a 110BCD (pretty standard for a compact) then those TA rings should be a good match.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If it has the same BCD it'll fit, the BB type is irrelevant, assuming you have a 110BCD (pretty standard for a compact) then those TA rings should be a good match.

The OP has identified that he needs just to be careful with Campagnolo cranksets: the one hole (of 5) at 112mm: the rest are 110mm. See Sheldon.

If you want 11-spd can you not just keep the crankset(+ new rings)with new shifters and mechs? Or do Campag 11 and 10 spd chains wildly differ?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
would have gone Athena 11-speed if that wasn't being discontinued.. grr
Oh no it isn't (moot point if you're sticking with 10 speed anyway).

Top Bottom