Can’t remove rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chibbz_2997

Hi I’ve got an electric fat bike, and can’t seem to remove the back wheel to change the inner tube, the derailleur seems to be blocking it, I’ve removed the caliper but still won’t budge,
Thanks guys

IMG_1510.jpeg

image.jpg

Big John

Guru

View: https://youtu.be/-mieLvdDI30?feature=shared

Try this for starters. Removing a rear wheel with an ebike motor in it is a faff. One day I'll end up with an ebike, I know, but I'll delay it as long as I can lol. I've faffed about with enough of them at work. I like the simple life.....quick release and about 20 seconds to remove a normal racing bike back wheel.

P.s. What 'caliper' have you removed?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should be fairly simple once you've unhooked the derailleur hanger from the axle, move it back out of way and the wheel should come out but don't stress the cable running through to motor, it may be secured to the frame by a zip tie further back along the frame, or there could be a plug to undo. The brake caliper shouldn't be blocking it.
I don't have an e-bike but that's what I can observe from your pics. The above video should serve as a good guide.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Alternatively, as you seem to be in the dry somewhere, may be easier (and will also be easier ensure you find the culprit in the tyre as you'll know where the hole is) to pull out the inner tube of one side, patch in situ and replace the same tube.

Dadam

Remove the derailleur then (simple allen key). Reiterate @Big John 's Q ref "caliper?".

Assuming it's the disc brake caliper, on the other side from the photo of course. I did an ebike conversion and found it very fiddly to get the wheel located in the dropouts. Undoing the caliper from its mountings (but leaving the brake cable connected) allowed more wiggle room to get the motor axle past the derailleur and aligned in the dropouts.

Hi I’ve got an electric fat bike, and can’t seem to remove the back wheel to change the inner tube, the derailleur seems to be blocking it, I’ve removed the caliper but still won’t budge,
Thanks guys

View attachment 716015

View attachment 716016

After this get some of those sausage type tubes that you can insert into the tyre without removing the wheel from the bike for next time.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP has not been back (since Wednesday early evening) so has seen none of the suggestions :sad:

May have, just not logged in

Ajax Bay

Guru
This bike looks as if it has been left outside to rust (chain and cassette). And unless the chain has been cut / unlinked the wheel must have been out and back in again. One of the limit screws is also about to fall out.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom