Can anyone help to date the bike in this picture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rvw

Guru
A friend who is an antiquarian bookseller has this, almost life-size, lithograph and is trying to pin down the date. Any help would be much appreciated!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd said mid 1930s but I was wholly wrong, so I've edited my post so I'm not providing duff opinion (and also so I don't appear a complete pillock). 😔

The drive train is on the wrong side by the way... (juat a little joke for anyone who knows about lithography, before someone jumps at me).

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As Canucks says the dress would be a more accurate guide as to date.
That looks more Victorian to me with the high collar and ground length, 30s dresses were 3/4 length? But what do I know.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I was so far out it's untrue! I do apologise.

The rear wheel has gone a bit wrong hasn’t it!
I was thinking of saying the artist isn't too hot on bikes or perspective, but then he's probably better than I am at dating women's dresses so I'll withdraw. 😄

Drago

Legendary Member
The image sadly looks appears to be a mish-mash of time periods for ladies fashion and ladies bicycle design. In any event, the age of the lithograph is not likely to bear any relation to the time period(s) depicted in the image.

OP
OP
rvw

rvw

Guru
Thanks all - I have passed this on, and my mate can now at least get more information on the print, if not on the bicycle depicted.

Top Bottom