Can I Add 6th Sprocket To 5 Spd Uniglide Cassette To Make It 6 Spd?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

This new thread is in relation to my other Uniglide thread, but things have changed a bit, so thought I would start a new one -

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/p...peed-cassette-on-old-mtb.284859/#post-6716189

My old 6 speed 14x32T Uniglide cassette is quite worn, especially in the more often used gears. Getting a new 6 speed cassette with similar teeth counts is impossible. I have located a brand new 5 speed Uniglide cassette which has all the same teeth numbers on the smallest 5 sprockets as my old one. My questions are -

Do Uniglide cassettes just bolt together?

Can I unbolt the new 5 speed cassette and add my original, largest 32T to it, to make a 6 speed cassette?

Can I use my old 6 speed (presumably longer) cassette bolts to bolt the new 5 sprockets to my old largest 32T sprocket?

If all the above is possible, presumably I use the old 6 speed cassettes spacers?

Will it all work with the original SIS index shifters?

Hope this is all possible, because adding the old, largest 32T sprocket to the new 5 speed cassette is the best scenario - because the 32T is unworn as I never use it. I would in effect have virtually 6 new sprockets.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will all work. Don't re-use the bolts. I don't think there were 5 speed cassettes, I only know of 6 speed and above from 1986 (Shimano 600)

Just stick with the 6 speed spacers - it's something like 3.2mm - 8 speed is 3mm, 7 speed 3.1mm

I don't use any of the bolts with my 7 and 8 speed setups - just slide on, and use locking sprocket, or the HG lockring. 6,7,8 speed spockets are the same width. I always take the bolts off

D

Deleted member 1258

It will all work. Don't re-use the bolts. I don't think there were 5 speed cassettes, I only know of 6 speed and above from 1986 (Shimano 600)

Just stick with the 6 speed spacers - it's something like 3.2mm - 8 speed is 3mm, 7 speed 3.1mm

I don't use any of the bolts with my 7 and 8 speed setups - just slide on, and use locking sprocket, or the HG lockring. 6,7,8 speed spockets are the same width. I always take the bolts off

5 and 6 speed were usually screw on blocks not cassettes, I haven't come across cassettes smaller than 7 speed, though there were 7 and 8 speed screw on blocks made.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks fossyant. Checked on Sheldon Brown's page about Uniglides, and they were available as 5 speeders - though 6 and 7 were more common. According to him, 5 and 6 spd spacers are the same thickness.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

5 and 6 speed were usually screw on blocks not cassettes, I haven't come across cassettes smaller than 7 speed, though there were 7 and 8 speed screw on blocks made.

Not really sure about difference between a block and cassette. Basically, what I have is a cluster of 5 cogs bolted together, and an unattached 6th smaller, threaded cog that screws onto end of hub to hold the cluster on. I have sourced a new cluster of 4 cogs, plus a 5th smaller cog to screw on.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not really sure about difference between a block and cassette. Basically, what I have is a cluster of 5 cogs bolted together, and an unattached 6th smaller, threaded cog that screws onto end of hub to hold the cluster on. I have sourced a new cluster of 4 cogs, plus a 5th smaller cog to screw on.

A screw on block has the bearings built into the gear cluster and the whole thing just screws on, a cassette has the bearings in a separate freehub body and the gear cluster slides on to that, it sounds like you have a six speed cassette, which I think is unusual.

OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks for everyone's help. I ordered the 5 speed UG cassette from States. Seller has also got some new 6 spd UG cassettes which is rare to find these days. However, although the same number of cogs as mine, they were twice the price of the 5 speed. Also the 6 speeds had different teeth counts to mine. As mentioned above, the new 5 speed cassette has the same teeth counts as the smallest 5 cogs on my old cassette, plus I can add my present largest cog from old cass, to the new cass - to make 6 speeds. My present largest cog gets zero use, so is virtually as new condition.

Pleased that I can cobble together a new 6 speed cassette for sensible money, because it's getting harder to run these old setups. And not being an expert, it means there's no conversion hassle to Hyperglide, etc - so I can do all the work myself.

Attachments

• Uniglide 5 speed.jpg
    Uniglide 5 speed.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Oi stop using up the supply of UG cassettes. :laugh:

PS a dremmel is all you need to 'fix' HG sprockets.

^_^

Well, I made my current cassette last over 30 years, though the bike hasn't been in continuous use all that time. I only need this new one to see me out.

I did look around for Hyperglide cassettes, but I couldn't find one with the right combination of speeds and teeth to suit my needs. The new 5 speed UG was a god send with identical ratios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom