Can I have 27.5's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snakey_75

Hi guys, I have a Focus Superbud Expert with 26" wheels as std, does anyone know if I can upgrade to 27.5? I know I will have to change the forks (thinking of upgrading anyway), but don't know if the frame will take a rear 27.5? Also, will I need to change the rear shock to a shorter one to compensate for the bigger wheel in the frame? Cheers!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Unlikely. It's unlikely you'll have clearance. Don't go changing forks to 27.5's as that will affect the frame geometry and may not do the handling much good.

S-Express

Hi guys, I have a Focus Superbud Expert with 26" wheels as std, does anyone know if I can upgrade to 27.5? I know I will have to change the forks (thinking of upgrading anyway), but don't know if the frame will take a rear 27.5? Also, will I need to change the rear shock to a shorter one to compensate for the bigger wheel in the frame? Cheers!

Simply looking at the frame should give you the answer you need. The rear triangle will not have the clearance for 27.5, and neither will the forks, simple as that. Even if it were possible, it would be a fairly pointless 'upgrade' anyway - why would you want to do it?

OP
OP
snakey_75

snakey_75

Cheers guys, the best answers, simple and to the point! Didn't think about frame geometry! Thought going up to 27.5's would improve rolling/speed/grip instead of just tyres.

Unless you are an elite racer looking for 1/10 second advantage, all the talk about which is the best wheel size is just talk. For decades MTBers held it as an item of faith that 26" was the best wheel size and pitied poor old tourists and hybrid riders with their old fashioned, weak, low performance 700c wheels.
Then someone renamed 700c as 29" and it was suddenly the best wheel to have. Unless you are small.
Then someone took an old, boutique French 650B touring rim that roadies had applied to get fat tyre capacity on 700c frames, and said that it was a better size than 26" because it was closer to 29".

Today 27.5" has squeezed out 26" as the usual size on performance MTBs so small riders have no option. It has even squeezed out 650c altogether from bike shop inventories. Even though it dominates the MTB space, you cannot just buy a decent commuter tyre in 27.5" at a normal bike shop.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You won't notice much difference. I have a 26" and a 27.5. The only difference is the 26" bike is over 25 years old, and the 27.5 is new with full suspension. Both different beasts due to age and technology.

Just popping on bigger wheels won't make much difference. How about seeing if 2.4" tyres will fit instead ?

Top Bottom