Can it be fixed (tubeless tyre)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
The tyre has a small nick, about 2 mm across oon the outside but, and this is the werd thing, there is not sign of damage on the inside!!!

First attempt was to glue using rubber solution a 2 cm square piece of innere tube - still leaking! :sad:

Second attempt was to use a p*cture repair patch, still leaking :sad::blush:

Third attempt was to smear a 4 x 3 cam area with a solicone type sealant - still leaking :biggrin::angry:xx(

Last attempt was to fit a really bit piece of inner tube - guess what, still leaking. :biggrin::evil:xx(:sad:

Can;lt work out why since the partch is way bigger than the nick and yes, it is more or leass centred below it.

The only way air can be getting out is by somehow going along the the plies and then out.

First photo shows hooooooge patch from inner tube.

Second photo shows bubbles coming out through the cut when some water mixed with washing up liquid is applied.

So any ideas? (apart from inner tubes :sad: )

and, and tubeless tyres are a pain in the a**e when it comes to inflating them.:angry:

RedBike

Yes, you can use one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TUBELESS-TYRE...14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?...sid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=tubeless&_osacat=0
or just stick a patch to inside of the tyre (I notice you've tried that)

The repair kits are effectively just rubber plugs/bungs you shove in the hole.
Once you've repaired the tyre you will need to stick some of this in it
http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/?...86.m270.l1313&_odkw=tubeless+repair&_osacat=0
It should seal up any small holes and make sure your new repair is air tight.

In theory the Stans should seal that 2mm hole you've got!

RedBike

and, and tubeless tyres are a pain in the a**e when it comes to inflating them.:blush:

I found the wheels I had converted to tubeless a pain to inflate but the proper Mavic Ust rims with Ust tyres are easy. They'll inflate with a mini pump!
The only problem with them is the tyres are a bugger (very tight) to get on/off the rims.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
I don't want to start making a mess using sealant os for the time being, that one is out.

the first kit you have shown looks like you are meant to make the hole bigger then fit in a plug - if that is the case, then surely the tyre is weakened as the plies are damaged?

what I find puzzling is that even with such a big patch, air is still getting out; my reasoning is that air pressure is forcing the patch against the tyre so no air should get under it and then out, or is my reasoning incorrect?

I have found that the rubber solution is the best of things to stick to the tyre, not like on inner tubes.

RedBike

I don't want to start making a mess using sealant os for the time being, that one is out.
I would strongly recommend that you look at using the sealant. One of the main advantages of tubeless tyres is that when used with sealant they're far more puncture resistant.

Just unscrew the core part of the vavle, squirt it in and then pump the tyre back up.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
nope - no nasty sealant. ggrrrrr........

went to LBS and bought hitchinson patch kit; ok, I paid over the odds bit I like to keep the lbs open buy buying a couple things off them a year.

looks like standard patches but what may just be superglue instead of rubber solutiuon. will let you know how I get on.

also gonna get interanl and external patch kits from CR. got a tube of SG from poundland to comapre ingredients.

OP
OP
02GF74

02GF74

Über Member
Quick update.
I bought a tubeless tyre reapir kit - appears to be super glue and normal patches - for an extortionate amount, deliberate decision since I try to buy one or two things from my local bike shop to keep them ticking over.
cleaned the cut out with meths then applied a couple drops of the super glue. everything points to it being regular super glue, that incidentally I bought a tube of from poundland - will try that one later to confirm.
whilst I am sceptical about durability of the repair, there is no air leaking.
will see how it pans out when ridden.

Top Bottom