can u have too much carbon fibre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iLB

Hello there
hey all,

i recently bought carbon fibre soled spd shoes and today got an awesome looking carbon fibre frame mounted pump as well, and needless to say my roadie has CF forks (can't afford a full carbon frame :blush:). i am also considering a CF bottle cage when i get some more money. just wondering if any1 else has such an unhealthy obsession with CF, and if you think its really worth the extra dollar?

Chrisz

Über Member
No good asking me - I just finished building a bike with a full CF fame, CF Cinelli Ram integrated handlebars, CF Campag Record ergo levers (9spd), Elite CF bottle cage, Saso CF seatpin, Selle CF saddle, FSA CF cranks and I have my eye on some CF skewers as well as the new Campag Record CF front and rear mechs so my answer has to be "No! You can't have too much carbon fibre" :blush:

As to 'Is it worth it" - does it make you feel happy? Do you love the feel of the smooth lines and lightness, the way it shimmers in the sunlight?

Damn right it's worth it :biggrin: :biggrin:

No, you can never have too much CF. In fact, I love CF so much, I bought my lover a pair of Crotchless CF knickers made by Carbon Dream in Italy

Radius

SHREDDER
You'll be spending money on something that you can't use again once it's had a sharp impact on it.... *runaway* :blush:

Ben M

If you need something with a good strength to weight ratio, then cf is the way forwards.

A cf bottle cage though? stop being silly. Pointless cf is almost as bad as fake cf :'(

Chrisz

Über Member
Aw bl00dy hell mickle, I just began to think I'd got my obsession under control and you come along and show me a load more goodies I 'need' :angry:

I know. Everyone needs carbon chain rings, they just don't know it yet.

OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
well its good to know that i'm not the only one who loves CF, but i don't think im as obsessed as some

chrisz

cough

Landslide

Rare Migrant
mickle said:
No point having a carbon cage unless you use......

http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=260

With a carbon fibre bottle? It should be possible to layer up the carbon in such a way as to make the bottle flexible and squeezy, no?

And of course, you'll need some lightweight water to go in it, none of that regular tap water...

...would carbonated water be lighter due to the fizzy gases? Should we try "carbonating" water with helium?;)

Chrisz

Über Member
mr-marty-martin said:
so what is it for you guys, the look of that carbon weave or the weight saving factor...

For me it's the look of the weave, especially in direct sunlight. Then there's the feel - lovely mooth and glossy or that beautiful satin finish, combined with the shape and quality of the parts. Finally it's the weight (or lack of) - you get a nice big piece of CF and marvel at the lightness - I still remember the feel of the carbon bonnet I had on my Supra - huge piece but only weighed a couple of kg ;)

Top Bottom