Can you guess what it is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tel

Veteran
I've recently acquired this frame but as there are no decals on it I have little idea as to what it is.

Some things that may help:

Teardrop top & downtube
Exposed rear brake cable
130mm dropout spacings
Screw on STI stops
1" quill type stem/ forks (steel)
Double bottle bosses
Frame number j10303899

Looking on the net I'd guess that it is a Raleigh Airlite due to the teardrop tubes and exposed brake cable. An early one I'd say due to the steerer diameter and screw on sti stops. It came with some Sora mechs so I reckon it was a Raleigh Airlite 300 2006'ish, but don't know for sure so am open to suggestions...

It feels quite light, when I have it fully stripped I'll weigh it. Also the clearances are pretty close with the 700 x 20c tyres fitted. Should make in to quite a nice bike.

The paintwork on this is shot so I'm going to get it powder coated, not sure what colour yet.

I'm considering building it into a single speed machine but don't know whether to remove the front mech & gear lever braze ons to give it a very clean look or leave them on so the option of having gears is not eliminated as I do not intend to keep this bike because unfortunately it is too big.

So to the pictures:

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Don't know though perhaps it's a Carrera....

It seems that quite a few alloy frames have exposed rear brake cables and that braze on front mech is throwing me of the scent a bit, plus theres not much meat on the rear dropouts.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I dunno what it is, but is it really worth any great deal of effort on your part? You've already stated that you don't intend to keep it, and I'm not convinced that it'll fetch much if you want to sell it.

It looks like the rear mech hanger has snapped off, so unless it's built for a replaceable dropout (and you have a spare) gears are out.
It's got vertical dropouts, so without an (expensive) ENO hub, or a great degree of luck with a "magic gear", fixed is out too.
This leaves the option of single-speed, but again, there is the issue of the rear mech hanger missing, which may limit the options for chain tensioners.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news and all that...;)

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Thanks. I'm gunna go for the magic gear. Can't decide whether to try to sell it as it is or powder coat & build it. Might just have it as a long term project.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
Oh the guy I got it from said it had Tifosi badges on it.

How do I know which gear hanger to get if I'm not sure what the frame is?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Looks a bit tight that Tel.

OP
OP
T

Tel

Veteran
I set it up the same again today stuck on some pedals and took a tentative ride round the block. Everything seemed okay although the absence of brakes prevented me giving it some. There's about an inch of movement, up and down, in the chain so I reckon that'll be fine.

I weighed it too although its not as it will be due to lack of brakes and the addition of two chainwheels and a cassette (which probably balances out the lack of brakes) and at 60cm it weighs in at 9kg (19.8lbs) which isn't bad considering the size.

I'm hoping to get it stripped and over to the powder coaters next week I'm considering having it re-done in red including the forks...but will probably change my mind at the last second, we'll see...

Top Bottom