Can you identify my bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommyninetwo

Hello eveyone,

I bought a Trek roadbike to commute to school a few years back and its time to replace some parts on it as it's getting fairly old. I've tried looking up my bike on the internet but cannot find anything on it. Last time I took it to a bike shop the owner said the bike was expensive when new but I forgot to ask him more about it. The sticker on the bike says Trek, Troy Lee Designs, and Amstrong. However I cannot find this particular bike on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this bike? Is it worth refurbishing?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20181119_134808.jpg
    20181119_134808.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20181119_134749.jpg
    20181119_134749.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 43

beepbeep

I think the frame is defo a trek however I suspect that a previous owner has put some extra frame stickers on it....
If there is frame number on the underside of the bottom bracket you may be able to identify it from that via your local trek dealer ???? worth a try.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like someone has gone OTT with the stickers. Troy Lee was involved with mountain bikes and Armstrong could be the disgraced Lance. A steel framed Trek from the eighties at a guess of which they made several models and a nice bike, certainly worth refurbishing.
Are you in the UK?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like you've cracked it @Spiderweb . I thought it was steel but the vertical drop outs and seatpost bolt would seem to confirm it.
Welding is very neat for an aluminium frame.
The hub or just the axle seem to have been changed at some time.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png
Looks like you've cracked it @Spiderweb . I thought it was steel but the vertical drop outs and seatpost bolt would seem to confirm it.
Welding is very neat for an aluminium frame.
The hub or just the axle seem to have been changed at some time.
I'm pretty sure it's a bonded aluminium frame.

The image above is from the Trek 1992 brochure which mentions their bonded aluminium technology. I think the OP's bike is an earlier model as it has a different fork crown so maybe 89'?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tommyninetwo

Thanks for the replies everyone and helping me find the model of this bike! I didnt realize all these stickers were added on, no wonder I couldn't find this bike on the internet. I loved riding this bike and fairly good at wrenching so I've been thinking of slowly overhauling it with good parts as a hobby. Do you know any good websites where I can find parts for an older bike like this?

Cycleops, I am from the US.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Cycle technology has changed little over the past fifty or so years and so you should be able to find parts for older bikes easily, either to match the originals or newer parts which you can upgrade with. When doing this you might have problems with compatibility so just ask on here.
I don't know much about US suppliers but I've dealt with these people in the past who have a great range and good prices;
https://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Components
You might like to invest in a good set of tools if you intend to do it yourself.
Good luck.

Top Bottom