Can you recommend me a tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can someone explain in more detail the bit I've highlighted in bold above - ie. why?. How would you choose new poles? Where else except Decathlon (not close to me) can you get them?
thanks
Jeff

Online. You can get pole kits which you simply cut to length to match or to repair a broken pole. Generally you only need to know the pole diameter as most are made to a similiar standard. You can even get pre-bent ones if your tent has shaped poles.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Okay heres the thing. I want to go on a cycling tour in September to a couple of places on the coast but I am going to need a tent for camping that I can carry on my pannier rack.

Heres a rough guide to what I want above all it should not be claustrophobic because I am.

Tent shaped,
Waterproof/ Rainproof,
Able to withstand wind,
Large 1 man or a 2 man of normal size,
Lightweight ie. not more than 2.5 kg after all I am carrying this on a bike,
Easy and quick to put up,
Space to put luggage,
Secure to the ground, preferably with flysheet.

Not more than £30.

Hope you can help me with a name and some reviews. Thanks.:thumbsup:

A tad more than 30 quid, but not much...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Glen-Orchy-Two-Tent/dp/B001S47FI2

upsides... lightish, small pack size, two doors (ideal on hot midsummer mornings)

downsides... not much in the way of a porch, if you're tall and have a thick sleeping mat there's not much foot room at the low end, pitches inner first

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think with that spec I'd go for the gelert solo.

The fibre-glass poles are not as good as alloy ones, and pitching on an exposed ridge in a storm would not be advisable, but they are far sturdier than a lot of people will give them credit for. I've taken cubs and scouts camping for years using fibreglass-poled tents without incident, including this May in high winds in Ennerdale.

Lucheni

My cousin gave me his Pro Action Cross from Argos when he moved upcountry. I've used it quite a few times with a mate, it's been great even in howling wind. Slightly heavier than you want though at 2.8kg, and it's not quite waterproof enough for a UK summer at only 1200HH but like I said, it's been alright for me so far. (And it often goes on sale for considerably less than it's current £30. I swear I saw it last month for £14.99 online)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My cousin gave me his Pro Action Cross from Argos when he moved upcountry. I've used it quite a few times with a mate, it's been great even in howling wind. Slightly heavier than you want though at 2.8kg, and it's not quite waterproof enough for a UK summer at only 1200HH but like I said, it's been alright for me so far. (And it often goes on sale for considerably less than it's current £30. I swear I saw it last month for £14.99 online)

So it falls at the first hurdle. September, when the OP wants to camp, is wetter than summer months.

Let be honest, for 30 pounds, you will only get a play tent, and to go touring with a cheapo tent is the first step in having a very uncomfortable tour. There is nothing worse that having arrived at your nights stop, already wet and weary, only then have to spend the night in a tent not man enough to provide the dry shelter you require, to recover from the days labour.

Bob g.

shirokazan

Veteran
...and it's not quite waterproof enough for a UK summer at only 1200HH...

The flysheet on my MSR Hubba Hubba HP is only 1000mm HH and that's been fine so far here in the UK - though I've been lucky enough to avoid really heavy rain (I've used it for between 20-25 nights). That said, the groundsheet is a very high 10000mm HH which should be sufficient.

Top Bottom