Can you use index shifters with old gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterba

Über Member
I know it is best not to, but this is what I want to do: My daughter's 80s Raleigh mixte has ordinary old shifters on the stem, a six speed cluster and a nondescript Raleigh rear mech. (I am going to abandon the front mech as she never uses it). I want to leave the back end alone, because any changes there will need quite a lot of work. I want to fit an Alvio 7 speed index clicker. It will only be allowed to move six clicks, stopped down by the rear mech limit screws. I know the gaps between the cogs will be slightly different from the movement allowed by the clicker. But will it be a significant difference? Will I have trouble getting good chain alignment in each gear? Or does it not matter all that much?

The reason for leaving the back end alone is that the six speed cluster is a bit of a bastard design, and the hub is designed only to work with this unit. The inner five go on like a cassette, then the last one screws on to keep the other in place. If I want a different cassette, then I'll need a different wheel, by which time I might as well be looking at a different bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I cant see any reason why you cant do it TBH
if you want to make the front mech a single ring it might be worth removing the unused rings and getting some chain ring washers to space the remaining chainring so its sits central on the crank so you get a reasonable chain line in any gear.
Then it might be a good idea to replace the front deraillier with a replacement non moving one that just sits above the chain to stop chain drop.
As far as indexing goes why not just buy a 6 speed shifter ?
Sorry if i do not make much sense i have just got in from nights so i am a bit incoherent and now i am off to bed :smile:

compo

Veteran
I have fairly recently done a very similar job on an older Raleigh. It came with the usual 5 speed friction setup. I have opened up the chainstays and fitted a 6 speed freewheel, a more modern derailleur and indexed downtube shifters. It all worked without any problems. If you buy new shifters you need to be sure that they will fit the frame bosses unless you have band-on shifters.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I know it is best not to, but this is what I want to do: My daughter's 80s Raleigh mixte has ordinary old shifters on the stem, a six speed cluster and a nondescript Raleigh rear mech. (I am going to abandon the front mech as she never uses it). I want to leave the back end alone, because any changes there will need quite a lot of work. I want to fit an Alvio 7 speed index clicker. It will only be allowed to move six clicks, stopped down by the rear mech limit screws. I know the gaps between the cogs will be slightly different from the movement allowed by the clicker. But will it be a significant difference? Will I have trouble getting good chain alignment in each gear? Or does it not matter all that much?

The reason for leaving the back end alone is that the six speed cluster is a bit of a b****** design, and the hub is designed only to work with this unit. The inner five go on like a cassette, then the last one screws on to keep the other in place. If I want a different cassette, then I'll need a different wheel, by which time I might as well be looking at a different bike.

It sounds to me you might have a Uniglide rear hub. If so there are various things you can do if you want to without replacing the wheel.

7 speed sprockets are 5mm apart while 5/6 are 5.5mm. The "Raleigh" rear mech may or may not be SIS compatible and even if it is you will find rear mech and sprockets don't line up perfectly, but error will be minimised if you adjust cable tension to line them up on the 3rd or 4th sprocket. You might want to get an indexed 6 speed thumb shifter such as this instead of the Alivio 7. If the Raleigh rear mech is not SIS compatible then you can always get compatible Shimano Tourney rear mechs for under £8 incl p&p new on ebay.

gbb

Legendary Member
The wifes old bike was a 6 speed with an ancient Maillard freewheel. I fitted a cheap as chips Shimano RD, cant remember the number, one that has a claw to mount on the axle, then fitted 6 speed Revoshifters...it works fine, even with that ancient Maillard freewheel.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If the Uniglide cassette is too worn for a new chain, you can dismantle the cassette and reassemble it with the sprockets the other way round. This will allow you to wear it out all over again.

OP
OP
Sterba

Sterba

Über Member
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I am going to give it a try when I have time, which may not be for a while. I loved the idea of flipping the sprockets to get a "new" cassette, since these beasts are not easy to find now.

Top Bottom