Cannock Chase (ish)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M100bert

Hi All,

This is my first venture into MTB, I used to ride a 'racer' to and from work over 20 years ago (that makes me feel old) and have not ridden a bike since. I will be moving to the edge of the chase and right next to the Trent and Mersey canal in a few weeks time so I though it rude not to have a bike.
After looking around the tinternet for ages and still unable to decide which of the infinite number of bikes to go for I took the plunge and bought a Scott Ascent 20 from Pedal On, Bob was very helpful and makes a good cup of real coffee.

I'm looking forward to getting on the chase/canal even if the weather is now turning. One thing I do need is a set of shoes and pedals, I have been looking at the Crank Bro. Candy but unsure about the shoes. I did have slip in clips on the racer and they did make all the difference but unsure what to get for the MTB any suggestions would be very welcome.

Rob

Randochap

Senior hunter
Welcome to CC. Fond memories of Cannock Chase as a young lad, walking but never occurred to me to cycle there. Guess it's become an offroad destination?

You might try Speedplay Frogs.

AlanW

Guru
Hi All,

This is my first venture into MTB, I used to ride a 'racer' to and from work over 20 years ago (that makes me feel old) and have not ridden a bike since. I will be moving to the edge of the chase and right next to the Trent and Mersey canal in a few weeks time so I though it rude not to have a bike.
After looking around the tinternet for ages and still unable to decide which of the infinite number of bikes to go for I took the plunge and bought a Scott Ascent 20 from Pedal On, Bob was very helpful and makes a good cup of real coffee.

I'm looking forward to getting on the chase/canal even if the weather is now turning. One thing I do need is a set of shoes and pedals, I have been looking at the Crank Bro. Candy but unsure about the shoes. I did have slip in clips on the racer and they did make all the difference but unsure what to get for the MTB any suggestions would be very welcome.

Rob

Hi Rob

Don't you mean the Scott Aspect 20, which I think you do? I have just bought my lad one, great bike, really light and superb spec for the money. But make sure you fit a Scott chain stay protector to it though!

As for Cannock Chase, we go up there once a month or so. They have spent a lot of time working on the XC trails, and the new Monkey Trail is bloody brilliant, but NOT for the faint hearted!!

As for shoes/pedals, I personally use the XTR SPDs with carbon Specialized shoes and BG inserts. For me this combo works really well.

Dilbert

Welcome to CC. :hello:

I use Time Atac Alium Pedals with Shimano M0-76 SPD Shoes.  I was recommended to use the Time Pedals by someone on here as the are good for people with iffy knees. So far I have found them very good, although I use them mostly on my road bike for commuting, I haven't worn them off road yet.

I have only been to Cannock chase once, this time last year, and it seems to offer something for everyone, including its own bike shop so you are lucky to be living so close.  :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

M100bert

Cheers for the replies guy's and yes I did mean the Aspect 20, for some reason I have it in my head that it's Accent - what a plonker :whistle:

I will look into to the Scott chain stay protector, TBH I don't even know what one is but I'm sure a quick Google will sort that out.

Top Bottom