Can't get low gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
Hey all

I've had to tweak my gears as it had all gone pete tong and it's not due to go in for a check up for a bit

I've more or less got everything running smooth except now I can't select the biggest cog at the back. Limit screws don't seem to be moving the derailler either direction.

Any pointers would be great as I'd rather have everyhting working before heading back out

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Could well be your cable is not tight enough so wont pull enough to move the rear mech to the biggest sprocket/ and/or the limit screw is preventing a shift to the biggest sprocket. see the following link

http://bicycletutor....ear-derailleur/

hope this helps

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Right I manager to adjust it all so I get all my gears again. It's not perfect but it's better than when I started and should see me till service time. :biggrin:

Not bad for a first propper attempt at tuning gears I think, might have been better if I wasn't getting so pissed off mind

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stop relying on the impending service and get it sorted. Bikes go out of tune for all kinds of reasons and you ought to be able to do these simple adjustments yourself, out on the road.

If the gears are not shifting cleanly it's likely the cable outer has worn where it curves round to the derailleur and needs replacing. It's an easy job with a couple of simple tools and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Take off the cable outer and get the shop to cut you a piece - or why not a couple of pieces - then take them home and fit one. With modern 9 and 10 speeds you will be changing gear frequently and the cable outer wears quite fast. I replace mine every 6 months.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the gears are not shifting cleanly it's likely the cable outer has worn where it curves round to the derailleur and needs replacing. It's an easy job with a couple of simple tools and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes. Take off the cable outer and get the shop to cut you a piece - or why not a couple of pieces - then take them home and fit one. With modern 9 and 10 speeds you will be changing gear frequently and the cable outer wears quite fast. I replace mine every 6 months.
That's a reminder to do mine. It's been a long time since the outer was changed on my Basso and I noticed it was starting to split the last time I cleaned the bike.

The bottom bracket needs replacing too so I'd better get fettling after today's forum ride. Speaking of which - I'm meeting the lads in 15 minutes so I'd better be out of here!

potsy

Rambler
I fitted a new outer cable on globalti's advice, it has really helped the shifting, back to being effortless again.
You don't realise how bad it's getting until you put a new one on.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I fitted a new outer cable on globalti's advice, it has really helped the shifting, back to being effortless again.
You don't realise how bad it's getting until you put a new one on.

HOORAY!

Top Bottom