Canti brakes: one side rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

I am fitting new cantis (TekTro, linear spring) and they fit fine with new cables, sleeves etc, but the drive side needs to be about 5mm away from the rim before the non-drive side relaxes away fromt he rim to allow the wheel to spin. Obviously now the brake lever is too slack.

Not much of a wobble in the wheel rim.

Seems the whole wheel is too far over to the drive side, but I can't see that I can shift the wheel over without misaligning the cassette to the rest of the chainset.

The brake set is not the type where you can back off the brake block housing. If I pull the block that is too close away from the rim it settles back to the rim.

I have the springs slotted into the middle hole in the braze on; maybe I should go for more tension - although the other three brake arms front and back are fine.

Is it the wheel?

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

No its not the wheel you bufoon. If you had only read the instructions properly, you would know that these brake arms are fitted with a return spring tensioner that when screwed clockwise with a 2mm allen key will pull the block away from the rim.

I hope this helps and in future, please read the instructions.

Top Bottom