Cantilever Brakes....question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ThePainInSpain

OOps....................sorry

I MEAN CANTILEVER BRAKES

I have almost finished restoring an old Specialized Hard Rock. Took it out for a 10km test ride yesterday, and apart from a couple of adjustments required it rode really well.

Except for the front brake, which is, to say the least, was crap.

They are CANTILEVER brakes, and as far as I can tell they are set up correctly, but when you apply the front brake it does not hold the wheel and bring it to a stop. I can even hold the brake on full and turn the wheel with my hand.
The back one works perfect.

The brake blocks are not new, but are as good as those on my other bike.

Any ideas or suggestions..........................

Norm

I've sorted your title. :thumbsup:

What are the rims like? Good blocks on clean rims will stop you, almost regardless of the type of brakes.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
wrong levers? short pull and long pull levers look the same except for the position of the pivot pin.

Cantis are shorter pull than v-brakes though aren't they? (That's why they fit them on tourers and CX bikes). I'd have thought using a v-brake lever to pull a canti brake would be ok.

I'd suggest going round the rims with a cloth and some WD40 to clean the gunk off. Also have a look at the pads and see if they are contacting the rims when exactly horazontal to the rim, as this seems to have an affect on mine.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Cantis are shorter pull than v-brakes though aren't they? (That's why they fit them on tourers and CX bikes). I'd have thought using a v-brake lever to pull a canti brake would be ok.

I'd suggest going round the rims with a cloth and some WD40 to clean the gunk off. Also have a look at the pads and see if they are contacting the rims when exactly horazontal to the rim, as this seems to have an affect on mine.

sorry not true....sheldon gives a good explanation. v with v levers....canti's with canti levers.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
1) Cantis and Vs need different cable pull hence levers, although some levers have a switch.

2) Assuming lever, pad and cabling are ok canti adjustment is about the length of the straddle wire. For that IME the suggestion/explanation from here and the associated link work great.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
sorry not true....sheldon gives a good explanation. v with v levers....canti's with canti levers.

Ok, learn something new every day.
smile.gif

Apparently v-brake levers pull the cable twice as far but only half as hard.

Top Bottom