Cantilever Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
I didn't think you could do that?
The STI levers will operate calipers with no difficulty, and the fitting will work with the existing fork crown hole that's used for mudguards and lighting.

The cantilever pivots would need to be protected. (Or removed)

I've seen an identical bike converted (it's a Dawes Horizon) and the owner had just done 54 miles including some serious downhills on bad and good roads so they must have worked!

Sterba

Über Member
That's a lot of chat on this topic. In my opinion a tupenny hapenny V brake is much better at stopping your bike than the most expensive canti money can buy. The fundamental squeeze is much better, especially if you don't have particularly strong fingers. It's interesting to see that the latest aero bikes in the TDF, with concealed brakes, have in fact adopted the V brake principal

Davidc

Guru
That's a lot of chat on this topic. In my opinion a tupenny hapenny V brake is much better at stopping your bike than the most expensive canti money can buy. The fundamental squeeze is much better, especially if you don't have particularly strong fingers. It's interesting to see that the latest aero bikes in the TDF, with concealed brakes, have in fact adopted the V brake principal
Which is all very well but Shimano and the rest don't make STIs or plain drop bar levers which will operate linear pull brakes (V brakes).

Bring on the discs. They beat all other braking systems.

asterix

Comrade Member
My avid shorties were fine descending the Galibier in the wet with a full touring load and me with frozen hands. I was keen to descend asap in order to reach a warmer altitude so braking was left as late as possible.

I had a problem with bog standard shimano on a club run. Twice riders with dual pivots ran into the back of me when the guy in front of me stopped suddenly and so did I.

Cantilevers are ok with decent pads. It's important on tour to know how to set up brakes yourself as the wear can make adjustment necessary. I have a front disc on my townbike - it's not that better IME.

Davidc

Guru
^^ I have linear pull (V) brakes on my round town bike, and they're better than the cantilever ones on the tourer, even when the cantilever ones have just been set up. In the dry I'd agree there's not much to choose between discs and linear pull but with water and road dirt or mud around the discs are better, also the fine control is better with discs (and that's with cable discs).

I used to have a bike with dual pivot calliper brakes and can't say I noticed any difference between those and V brakes with the same material pads on.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Every so often I threaten to change the front Tektro Oryx cantis on my bike for decent dual pivot caliper brakes. One day I'll do it!

Yep just need to make sure tyre/fender clearance is ok and the drop matches. It is possible to get dual pivot calipers with reach in excess of 70mm, like some Tektros.

Which is all very well but Shimano and the rest don't make STIs or plain drop bar levers which will operate linear pull brakes (V brakes).

Actually they do exist, e.g. Tektro RL520, and Cane Creek Drop V.

asterix

Comrade Member
^^ I have linear pull (V) brakes on my round town bike, and they're better than the cantilever ones on the tourer, even when the cantilever ones have just been set up. In the dry I'd agree there's not much to choose between discs and linear pull but with water and road dirt or mud around the discs are better, also the fine control is better with discs (and that's with cable discs).

I used to have a bike with dual pivot calliper brakes and can't say I noticed any difference between those and V brakes with the same material pads on.

Yes, I have no doubt Vs can be more powerful than cantis but I like drop bars and when I had Vs, needed travel agents which are crap and take any benefit away.

I have dual pivots (shimano 600 br) on my audax bike with which I did a descent of the Tourmalet like my Galibier one in appalling conditions and found them perfectly adequate - it was so wet the road was a river and riders without mudguards were blinded by their own spray! Descending White Horse bank (20-25%) I did once nearly have a problem encountering a gang of walkers who spread themselves across the road - the only time I have had brake-fade on a bicycle.

Descending the Col du Glandon this year, I was in company with many road bike riders with dual pivot and was surprised that my loaded tourer was able to brake as well as they were doing on the hairpins. I wasn't competing, just enjoying a fabulous descent!

Davidc

Guru
Yes, I have no doubt Vs can be more powerful than cantis but I like drop bars and when I had Vs, needed travel agents which are crap and take any benefit away.

I have dual pivots (shimano 600 br) on my audax bike with which I did a descent of the Tourmalet like my Galibier one in appalling conditions and found them perfectly adequate - it was so wet the road was a river and riders without mudguards were blinded by their own spray! Descending White Horse bank (20-25%) I did once nearly have a problem encountering a gang of walkers who spread themselves across the road - the only time I have had brake-fade on a bicycle.

Descending the Col du Glandon this year, I was in company with many road bike riders with dual pivot and was surprised that my loaded tourer was able to brake as well as they were doing on the hairpins. I wasn't competing, just enjoying a fabulous descent!

Interesting. I liked the dual pivot calliper brakes, and I've never managed to get cantilevers as effective. I really don't understand why touring bikes seem to always be made with canti brakes when dual pivot are easier to set up, seem to give better braking and are neater and more compact. Audax bikes have calliper brakes, why not tourers?.

Standard single pivot callipers aren't as good though.

Davidc

Guru
After yesterday with the cantilever brakes I've ordered some Miche Performance dual pivot calipers from Wiggle. They get good reviews but I cringe at what they'll be like at £20 a set!

I'll put them on and try them, if I'm not satisfied they'll go back. If I am they'll get a set of Kool Stop pads for the winter.

Any ideas how to cover the cantilever pivots so they don't get damaged?

asterix

Comrade Member
Interesting. I liked the dual pivot calliper brakes, and I've never managed to get cantilevers as effective. I really don't understand why touring bikes seem to always be made with canti brakes when dual pivot are easier to set up, seem to give better braking and are neater and more compact. Audax bikes have calliper brakes, why not tourers?.

Standard single pivot callipers aren't as good though.

The only reason I can think of is clearance. When my audax bike was built there was only one brake available of decent quality that had clearance for mudguards and even so it's not able to take wide tyres. My tourer has currently has 1.75" tyres (it can take 2") - low pressure, perfect for load carrying and comfortable with it. It's not slow unladen, either.

Davidc

Guru
The only reason I can think of is clearance. When my audax bike was built there was only one brake available of decent quality that had clearance for mudguards and even so it's not able to take wide tyres. My tourer has currently has 1.75" tyres (it can take 2") - low pressure, perfect for load carrying and comfortable with it. It's not slow unladen, either.
Could be. These brakes I've bought to try out should be OK for tyres up to 42mm. The largest I've gone up to was a 37mm and for ages I've used 32. I haven't done any real touring for a long time but found 700c 32 suited me last time I did.

When I had the Peugeot bike I toured on it. It had single pivot callipers with the original 27" wheels so I bought long drop ones when I converted to 700 size rims, and used 32mm tyres on there. Even those were better than the cantilever brakes I now have.

The new brakes arrived just now. For the price they look well made. Won't fit them until after the EE though - just in case I have fitting issues, and to avoid any risk of a failure in the middle of the night going down Cheddar Gorge :eek:.

Top Bottom