Car-Bike-Car Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pally83

Über Member
I'm after a bit of advice. Up until last November I was working 6 miles from home, which was a lovely bike commute most of the year round for at least 4 days out of 5. Then I got a job working 30 miles away but that's not as stupid as it sounds - I was made redundant and had to take what I could get, in this case it worked out very well for me except for the commute. I now have to endure up to 1hr 40mins on the M6 of a morning when the same journey takes 30-35 minutes with no traffic. So, now that the darkest days are behind us, I want to start commuting by bike again.
My fitness isn't up to doing the whole trip on two wheels... yet (though my family wouldn't appreciate it, especially as I spend my evenings studying for a degree) but I reckon I could get away with driving half and cycling half. So, is there anyone with experience of mixing it up in this way? What suggestions have you for safe parking (park and ride, pay car parks, on-street, business parks)? The only stipulation is that it must be cheaper than driving the remaining miles. Are there any special considerations I should make? Would it affect my car insurance? I'm hoping to find an office car park that I can use since that's where it says my car is kept during the day - never had to specify exactly where the office car park is.
Getting the train part way isn't really an option as it's either too expensive or not frequent enough.

Alun

Guru
I'm thinking of doing the same myself after easter. Give us a clue though, that M6 is quite a long road.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
30 miles? Is it 30 miles the motorway way or 30 miles as the crow flies? You may find the alternative cycle route to be a bit shorter, maybe by as much as 5 miles. If this is the case I would consider doing the full trip but only one way so drive in on day 1 with bike in boot then cycle home. Day 2 cycle in and drive home (with bike in boot or locked up at work) repeat for day 3 and 4 and Friday can be an easy day in the car or bonus cycling day with a two way bike trip.

Once you have a bit of practice you should be able to do 25 miles in 2hrs or less.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Problem with a 30 mile commute each way on a bike is the time, but then again it's 1h 40 in the car ?

Just before I left my last job I started the 30 mile each way trip once or twice a week. This was out on the road by 6.30, arriving at work at 8.10 (1h 40) then at the desk for 8.30. Finish at 5.00, for say 5.15 depart - home by 7, then shower etc - that's 13 hours or so. And that was finishing work on time.

What Skol says is a good alternative, but you'll have to do the 30 miles to collect the car in crappy weather - so be prepared.

400bhp

Guru
Or, cycle in a couple of days and drive the remaining days. Slowly building up to more days cycling in.

400bhp

Guru
I wonder if there are any cycle chatters on your route that would allow you to park your car close by their house?

OP
OP
pally83

pally83

Über Member
Thanks for the replies.

I can't do the full distance just yet - maybe without any baggage but definitely not carrying anything other than water.

Time isn't a problem in the mornings but it is in the evenings. I leave work at 17:30 and driving home takes 50 mins to an hour, cycling would get me home too late.) Although Fridays might be an option with the traditional early dart once my fitness improves.

It's 25 miles as the crow flies, but the shortest cycle route I've found is 28. Preston to Warrington(ish), by the way. Looking for sensible parking around Wigan - Ashton for now.

jgs

Hi, I car-bike-car a fair bit. My journey is much shorter though - 18 miles each way. I now ride mostly door-to-door but during the worst of winter (storm days) I will drive half way.

I park in a quiet residential street, making sure not to block any drive ways. Dustbin days are the only concern I have for car security/safety. Ideally you can find a street with some through traffic, but decent front gardens so you don't feel you're parking right on top of someone's living room, and sorting out your bike and bags under their noses.

I use a bike rack for my alu-framed winter bike. I have spare shoes in the car (for emergencies, but drive in my spds), plus a large towel to sit on in soaking clothes if its raining. I have mechanic's gloves in the car to handle the bike and paniers etc so I don't end up with oil / road grime covered hands inside the car.

In the early days I had a spate of loosing things - I guess leaving them on the roadside in the darkness whilst I stripped the bags, bottles and computer of the bike etc. I then organised a better routine that reduced the opportunity for this happening.

The comment about time above is very pertinent. The morning is not an issue - being able to leave the house earlier, but in the evenings it's really a pain to face a long commute.

As for car insurance, its a good point. My car is now mainly at home during the day as I'm door-to-door'ing the ride more, but I think the declared 'usual parking' situation is only meant to indicate the norm - not a strict limitation. But its probably worth checking the small print of your policy. I also took out 3rd party cycle insurance when I started commuting in case I damaged someone's car en route.

OP
OP
pally83

pally83

Über Member
Thanks for those tips jgs. Nice to hear from the voice of experience.

Now I've no excuse but to get pedalling.

Top Bottom