Car Electrical Experts - Radio Reception poor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Strange one this.

My wife's Toyota Yaris '99 has just lost FM reception - you can make the songs out, but the interference is very bad. AM works fine. If you remove the aerial lead the FM goes quiet, same with AM.

Unscrewing the roof aerial, the FM gets worse, and AM deteriorates slightly (as you'd expect).

I either suspect a bad earth at the roof, or the aerial mast is knackered ?

Just hoping a capacitor isn't gone in the radio ?

Any ideas ?

It's just happened this afternoon, and has been 100% for last 11 years. Did the battery disconnect trick I have to do with my car (but that's canbus) - the old Yaris isn't (I don't think - seems more traditional wires)

Can't get in garage at mo for some WD40 - locked and secured with my car butted up to it (after last weeks break in).

Norm

Can you get another aerial plugged into it, to test whether that is the problem?

Does holding the aerial with it plugged in make any difference to the reception?

Does it happen with the engine both running and off (just in case it's something different which has broken, causing the interference).

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Might have to 'buy' an aftermarket aerial and test it first. Fortunately I can get to the socket on the unit from under the dash.

Still not working on FM properly this morning.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Tried a new aerial - no change, so took it back. Stripped the dash and tested all connections etc - most likely the FM tuner gone. It's in 3 modules - cd, cassette/tuner and the display.

Quote for a repair is £150 :whistle: or Ebay £25 for a whole cassette/tuner unit ! Also done a breakers request.

Fairly easy to strip the dash - wife went - oooh and legged it.

Top Bottom