car headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
why do car driversas soon as they see you they dip their headlights (which is correct) but soon as they are level with you they put their main beam back on :rolleyes: and blind you for few secs

They don't bother here.

Davidc

Guru
They do the same for other cars as well, cyclists don't get speciqal treatment.

You're doing well to get them to dip their lights at all. Same applies, but other car drivers have the benefit of effective retaliation.

BSRU

A Human Being
Hackers, you mean your Fenix on turbo-strobe? That would be evil!

A helmet light can be quite good in encouraging motons to dip.

Tall uprights need to be careful with helmet lights, I am sure I read somewhere that front lights should not be higher than 1.5 metres of the ground.

I'm so used to cars reverting to full beam as they pass me, that I've got into the habit of tilting my head down and towards the left as they approach, so that the brim of the helmet cuts off the light. Another tip someone else told me was to close your right eye for a couple of seconds as they pass you.

neslon

I'm so used to cars reverting to full beam as they pass me, that I've got into the habit of tilting my head down and towards the left as they approach, so that the brim of the helmet cuts off the light. Another tip someone else told me was to close your right eye for a couple of seconds as they pass you.

The right eye thing works (doesn't matter which) as only one is dazzled. Works in a car too. Mind you. I've never really noticed an issue with cars headlights anyway ( but I do have a Dinotte on the bars and a Fenix on the helmet, so perhaps they are all well aware of me in advance)

mark i

Whether oncoming motorists dip depends on the lights that you are using. I normally use a Limicycle with 20W halogen on the dark lanes. Oncoming traffic pretty much always dips. The battery had a fault last winter so went back under warranty and I was left with a couple of LED lamps that are not very bright. Nobody dipped.....

Top Bottom