Car mechanicky stuff: wheel bearings and the domino effect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Brand new rear slave cylinders have new nipples on them....
Why do they make the so small? Just done some on the son's old BMW they were an 8mm spanner, probably a 6mm or 1/4" thread, why not make them far bigger so you can get a proper spanner on & give a bit of weight before they brake & more then likely have to buy a new caliper.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Why do they make the so small? Just done some on the son's old BMW they were an 8mm spanner, probably a 6mm or 1/4" thread, why not make them far bigger so you can get a proper spanner on & give a bit of weight before they brake & more then likely have to buy a new caliper.

Flushed the brakes on my 2015 doblo and the rears are 7mm, front are 10mm
Soon sheer a 7 mm hollow bleeder

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I really couldn't agree more; any size less than 15mm has no place externally on a car IMHO. FYI, my bleed nipples were 8mm at the back, 10mm at the front.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

So they can save half a penny per car, which when added up with all the other tiny savings they can make on one car and then multiplied by all the cars they make means savings of millions.

keithmac

Guru
We've all been there at some point!

Last job for me was the DCT gearbox on our MK2 Kuga. Ended up having to hand make bellhousing adaptor plates out of 10mm steel plate to fit a 2017 on 'box (long storey!).

Been reliably informed it's the only one that's been converted so my wife is driving around in a one off car.

I've done 6 clutches and an engine change on my GTO twin turbo on my back on the drive, getting to old for that malarkey now!.

D

Deleted member 26715

getting to old for that malarkey now!.
Isn't that the truth, I don't have a garage so like you all on the drive getting enthusiam to start gets harder & harder

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I had Honda CB200 which had a tiny oil leak from the rev counter drive. Replacing the little grommet where the cable exited the housing looked to be easier if the little box over it was removed, so this I duly did. One of what I thought were a pair of locating studs came away with it, only they turned out to be the shafts for the rockers causing the offending rocker to drop beyond retrieval from outside the engine.

Fecking engine out job, and I still have some of the tools I needed to buy forty five years later. And within a week of finishing the job the same little oil weep was back. It stayed back.

Cavalol

Guru
I very nearly wrecked my beloved BX 1.7 n/a diesel by just changing the fuel filter. It went wrong, other things broke and I'm afraid to say I hit the top of the engine with a lump hammer in a fit of Citroen ownership.

gbb

Legendary Member
Changing spark plugs on my hated Ford Focus nearly went awfully wrong. Loosening one of them....it snapped, leaving the thread and porcelain in the head...ohhhhh fooooook. Stupid design plugs, the hex section you tighten is not directly connected to the threads, the porcelain connects the two.
A day pondering how to get the porcelain out of the threads without getting it in the bores? Once out I could drive a square stud extractor in...but the porcelain stops you getting the extractor in....rather in desperation I turned the engine over....pop pop and a smack as the porcelain shot out and hot the bonnet...leaving the threaded section of plug clear to get the extractor in.
I sold it shortly after, always hated that car.

Top Bottom