Carbon Cranks : Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Hi,

Ok, I understand most of the performance advantages given by using carbon fibre components, most of which are directly related to weight saving and strength variables.

Carbon cranks - What advantage do these give over alloy cranks?.

I mean, yes, they look nice and weigh less, but do you actually notice any difference after fitting them once you get out for a ride?.

ghitchen

I changed from Veloce alloy to Centaur carbon. Maybe I was imagining it to justify the cost, but they definitely felt stiffer, as if more of my energy was being translated into forward motion (now I've written that it sounds even more psychological!).

I bought them because:

1. IMO they look better
  2. They are lighter
  3. They are rotating, so 2 is even more important
  4. They were a bargain. They cost me £61, previously fitted but never used including a Chorus BB, but I sold the Veloce and Chrous BB for £63!

jonathan ellis

I had carbon record - snapped one with no prior warning
Ended up a heap on the road with the car behind performing an emergency stop. I'm now happy with good old metal!

yenrod

jonathan ellis said:
I had carbon record - snapped one with no prior warning
Ended up a heap on the road with the car behind performing an emergency stop. I'm now happy with good old metal!

I had a carbon record s.post and that went down the drain.

Carbon in high stress areas is a no-no to me.

Though I have carbon shoes so not sure if theirs sense in that!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Why? Because everyone knows they're more expensive than alloy cranks. So it's an obvious way to demonstrate your oneupmanship to the poor dudes who can only afford alloy cranks.

Or have I missed something?

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Yeah - I know that m8, you don't have to tell me about the "WoW" factor.

I've got into trouble many a time from the missus for buying carbon bits for my motorbike. The thing is dripping with the stuff - carbon rear hugger, front mudguard, heelplates, dash cover, under screen cover, right and left crankcase protectors, right and left swing arm protectors etc, etc.

Having just got into road cycling, sadly I'm finding I'm also getting a bit of a penchant for carbon bits for it as well. This could well turn out to be as expensive as running a superbike is. :biggrin:

But, back to my original question - Do you notice any performance difference with carbon cranks?. I mean if they are lighter and offer less resistance because of this, do you go quicker or require less effort to be put into the pedals compared to alloy ones?.

If not, I guess it's just a cosmetic thing after all. ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Potentially it can make you a little quicker sprinting and climbing. It is lighter, but about as strong.

Dura Ace 7800 alloy was said to be about the stiffest, then they developed the carbon chainset, which had an alloy skeleton inside, that was supposed to be a little stiffer and lighter, then 7900 Alloy chainset came out that was stiffer and lighter......

But, carbon does look good.

Top Bottom