Carbon Frames.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

The only single speed (not Rohloff hub specific) cyclo-cross frame I can think of is the Specialized Tri-cross. Although i'm sure there must be more. I can't think of any carbon CX frames with horizontal drop outs or disc brake mounts.

Fitting disc brake mounts, pannier / guard eyes to cx frames is a relatively new idea. Disc brakes are actually banned in cx!

Most of the frames with all these braze-on additions on are in my opinion closer to being light-weight tourers than they are CX bikes. At the end of the day it's just a label.

This is sounding like an increadably expensive bike that will be a sort of jack of all trades, master of none. CX bikes don't ride that well on the road, well not compared to something light-weight and Itallian they don't. Furthermore, once this bike has been fitted with mud-guards, panniers and road tyres it's going to be pretty useless off-road too.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
There is an attachment which enables you to put a Rohloff on bike with the wrong kind of drop outs. It's to do with torque or torsion or something. That does look like a nice bike, BTW.

P.H

Über Member
RedBike said:
I rather fancied a Van Nicholas Amazon for a while. It's almost what you're after; but it wont take a Rohloff hub. http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=FFFFR005

There's a Rohloff specific Amazon frame, though it doesn't have disk brake mounts.
Review

Velotraum make a Rohloff cross frame for disk brakes, either steel or aluminium.
Velotraum

Lee Cooper/LA Cycles used to make custom Rohloff frames, I'm not sure if he's still in business, my link to his website is dead.

I've seen a custom titanium MTB frame direct from the Chinese manufacturer with Rohloff dropouts, I expect they could do the same on any of their stock designs or full custom. If you're confident about what you want it's probably the cheapest option.
XACD

At the other end of the price spectrum, I've seen a couple of Mercian Rohloff bikes, built to order and very very nice. Bob Jacksons have also built a few though I haven't seen any.

You can always choose a disk front fork and use a rim brake on the rear, the new carbide rims offer decent wet weather braking and longevity. That would widen the choice.

The only Carbon road bike with disks I've seen is the Obrea Deim (sp?) which doesn't meet your other criteria.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Can't you get one of the Van Nic frame designed for a Rohloff hub from a dealer instead of the internet and then get a carbon disk fork for it.

You would then have a lightweight frame, the hub you want and one disk brake. As my Mum said 'you can't have everything in life'.

papercorn2000

P.H said:
There's a Rohloff specific Amazon frame, though it doesn't have disk brake mounts.
Review

Velotraum make a Rohloff cross frame for disk brakes, either steel or aluminium.
Velotraum

Lee Cooper/LA Cycles used to make custom Rohloff frames, I'm not sure if he's still in business, my link to his website is dead.

I've seen a custom titanium MTB frame direct from the Chinese manufacturer with Rohloff dropouts, I expect they could do the same on any of their stock designs or full custom. If you're confident about what you want it's probably the cheapest option.
XACD

At the other end of the price spectrum, I've seen a couple of Mercian Rohloff bikes, built to order and very very nice. Bob Jacksons have also built a few though I haven't seen any.

You can always choose a disk front fork and use a rim brake on the rear, the new carbide rims offer decent wet weather braking and longevity. That would widen the choice.

The only Carbon road bike with disks I've seen is the Obrea Deim (sp?) which doesn't meet your other criteria.

Will second the XACD option. That is where I got my cross bike. I now really like the idea of a hub-geared, disc-specific cross bike.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
My cross bike would be easily adaptable for a geared hub as its got adjustable dropouts. but its aluminium, not carbon

photos in the gallery

Top Bottom