care of road brakes and rims for optimal winter braking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
How do you find the rim wear? From the reviews I read their wet stopping is good.

The Gooeys are a very soft pad - much like the Koolstop Salmons. So far (after approx 2500 miles) I cant say I've noticed any rim wear at all; there certainly isn't any need to keep picking great chunks of alloy out of the pads like there is with the Shimano pads.

As to block wear, I've just replaced the front set - as I say 2500 ish miles so as good as the Koolstops. Wet stopping is probably 90-95% as good, they maybe just lack the initial bite on the first 1/2 revolution that the Koolstops have.

Edge705

I got some new rims about a week ago and like the old one's they're shoot in the wet. I have Koolstop salmons on the rear and standard shimano blocks on the front. After my second wet ride on the new rims they were filthy and I gave them a I really good wipe over last night with baby wipes and kitchen roll. This morning was wet again and the braking was just as bad as ever before which all got me wondering.

What's your optimal wheel/brake care routine on your commuter bike? I tend to clean my chain and casette every fortnight in winter but had neglected to give the rims anything more than a quick wipe over.

Should I be degreasing my rims or will citrus degreaser make them slippery?

IMO In the wet you should use both back and front at the same time in short sharp bursts or at least be prepared to if this isnt stopping you then you look at pads ect - One other thing the breaks ideally need to be applied correctly and setup correctly with the front requiring a little less leverage than the back to engage. Breaks should not be difficult to apply . Clarkes do a very good cheap pad with holes in it specificaly designed for the wet I think I paid £4 at chain reaction. Ive always got my grips on both sets of breaks when its raining as Im sure most fast commuters do. Have to say for me its the most important part of the bike I have both caliper an V type systems working very effectivly with cheaper break pads no need for expensive shimano and koolstops. Incidebntaly I clean my rims as follows....warm soapy water to defilm the grime wipe dry then take a mild scourer the cheap green spongy ones (not harsh green pads) dip these in hot soapy water and gently rub back and fore loosening the grime that does not come off first time around rinse and wipe completely dry again - Thats it works very effectivly for me you shouldnt need to use any degreaser or special cleaning agents and be careful when using the mild scourer try not to fould the side wall of the tyre otherwise it can disturb the stitching

buddha

Veteran
Discobrakes get good reviews. I find them comparable to koolstop salmons. (According to their forum the red, blue or yellow ones are all make of the same 'soft' compound)
Best thing is you get 4-pairs for £8.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Thank you for all the excellent advice, I do love this forum!

I found a spare set of salmons in my desk which I must have ordered and forgotten about so I'll place them on the front post haste! I also need to teach myself to feather the brakes a bit more rather than simply slamming them on as has been my habit to date.

I think my next bike will be a crosser with discs.

I've had a set of salmons on the rear for about 3k miles, maybe I should replace them too.

Milo

Guru
Embrace crap braking with rim brakes in the wet I enjoy the added element of danger. Well that's a lie TBH but just accept it even with the best pads it is always there.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Just an update, fitted the koolstops remembered how great it feels to be able to stop!

Top Bottom