Cargo cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Even though it’s The Royal Parks I don’t think you’ll be going to The Tower.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Hi everyone. Listen this crazy law that cargo cycles can't go through Royal parks I'm baffled. Yes my cargo cycle has the company name on it. But I don't sell or trade in the park I use the cycle path to go through it to my destination. Anyone got any thoughts on this
Its a by-law of the Parks and it applies to any "liveried" vehicle. Many years ago I used to be a driving instructor with BSM in Edinburgh and we were not allowed to drive our cars through Holyrood Park. It has nothing to do with safety, size, or speed of vehicles.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its a by-law of the Parks and it applies to any "liveried" vehicle. Many years ago I used to be a driving instructor with BSM in Edinburgh and we were not allowed to drive our cars through Holyrood Park. It has nothing to do with safety, size, or speed of vehicles.
Maybe a bit electrical tape over the name and logos then?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

The regulation applies to 'any vehicle adapted or used for the purpose of trade', excluding regulated taxis.

Enforcement tends to be based on whether the vehicle is sign written or not.

Some van drivers use clip on magnetic signs to enable them to comply.

The OP ought to be OK if he can cover the trade logos temporarily.

Brooks

Vans aren't allowed in the Royal Parks if there sign written or not and it's been that way for decades. Strange how people think they can ignore any rules if it doesn't suit them.
The parks are for recreational use and it's taken many years for bikes to gain access. Seeing families and visitors on Boris bikes enjoying the bike lanes in safety is wonderful and any change in that should be resisted.
Look at the bike lane on Westminster bridge constantly blocked by rickshaws. Relaxing any rules in the Royal Parks will result in a fee for all that's how London works.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The definition seem to vary, but 'a vehicle used for trade' about covers it.

A van driver in London told me the Parks Police tend to base their enforcement on whether the vehicle is sign written or not, presumably to avoid any difficult to resolve arguments along the lines of 'I am a merchant banker and do not use my plain white Transit van for trade'.

If the van has 'Joe's Plumbers' written on the side there can't be much of a dispute over whether it's a trade vehicle or not.

battered

Guru
. Strange how people think they can ignore any rules if it doesn't suit them.
Strange how some people think that all laws are equally strongly enforced, and that all are equally sensible. I hope that you have never been drunk in a pub, or knocked out your doormat after 8am, or ridden a bicycle up a kerb to get to a postbox, or kept a video recording of a TV programme for over 30 days, or carried a plank or pole on a road or footpath. Also, if you have a burglar alarm I hope that you have a designated keyholder other than yourself. If you've done any of these things, you're a criminal. Me? This very morning I rode my bike along the empty pavement for 5 yards to get to the postbox. Handcuff me now. It's a fair cop, guv.

Drago

Legendary Member
The definition seem to vary, but 'a vehicle used for trade' about covers it.

A van driver in London told me the Parks Police tend to base their enforcement on whether the vehicle is sign written or not, presumably to avoid any difficult to resolve arguments along the lines of 'I am a merchant banker and do not use my plain white Transit van for trade'.

If the van has 'Joe's Plumbers' written on the side there can't be much of a dispute over whether it's a trade vehicle or not.
I had similar grief with my pickup truck at a couple of places. Yes, its a commercial vehicle in the makers catalogue, but its owned by me as a private individual, used only for private purposes, and taxed accordingly as PLG, so not a commercial vehicle according to the DVLA.

The brain donors at the local tip seemed particularly keen to argue, while private cars used by tradesmen and full of trade rubbish didn't raise an eyebrow.

Pooly conceived and poorly worded rules and legislation tends to allow those at whom it is targeted to duck and dive, while otherwise innocent parties get needlessly moaned at and harassed. It's the British way of doing things.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If they let WVM through then I'd carry on with your cargo bike. You're a lot lighter than a car anyway.

The ban on Trade vehicles is a Royal Parks byelaw and is not based on what you or anybody else thinks is reasonable. The authorities have simply decided they do not want any sort of commercial vehicle taken through the parks unless the vehicle is there because it needs to be. These rules can be and are regularly enforced. Nobody can just trundle along in a Royal Park without being spotted. The Police are very clued-up because of the security risks to nearby sensitive buildings.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
I had similar grief with my pickup truck at a couple of places. Yes, its a commercial vehicle in the makers catalogue, but its owned by me as a private individual, used only for private purposes, and taxed accordingly as PLG, so not a commercial vehicle according to the DVLA.

The brain donors at the local tip seemed particularly keen to argue, while private cars used by tradesmen and full of trade rubbish didn't raise an eyebrow.

Pooly conceived and poorly worded rules and legislation tends to allow those at whom it is targeted to duck and dive, while otherwise innocent parties get needlessly moaned at and harassed. It's the British way of doing things.
I have similar problems to you @Drago with the local recycling centre. They really don't like my VW Caravelle, which is my "car", taxed as a car, has no more seats than a MPV, or some estates. I'm expected to travel an extra 25 miles to the nearest recycling centre which accepts "Vans".

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Local tip / recycling "policing" is vary weird. I was once told there was maximum number of old window frames I could deposit at once (from the back of my volvo estate). i cant remember how it was resolved, either I actually did, or just threaten too and he saw the madness, to dump half , drive round again and dump the rest.

yello

I too have been caught in the local tip red tape (when I lived in London) The operatives even acknowledged it's 'silliness' when they agreed that I could return with exactly the small rubbish but in a different vehicle. My wife is an upholsterer, the only vehicle we had was her little van. Still, rules are rules etc.

It's silly, yes, of course, but it's the kind of thing that happens when stuff gets codified. At natural consequence if you like. It's not personal so I don't get het up. Have a smile and a chuckle, a shake of the head and jump through the hoop.

Top Bottom