Carlton Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonb

Hi...new to the forum that i've found whilst trying to find out some details about an old Carlton road bike that i've been given by my father in law. He bought in quite a while ago second hand and its barely been used in years and with them moving he was clearing out the garage and asked me if i wanted it.

I know next to nothing about the bike or its history other than we've identified the Carlton badge on the front, its a 5 speed bike with a simplex gear and the seat is a replacement my Father in Law put on a while back. It needs a bit of work to get it going again as the gear wire has come loose, the brakes arent brilliant and the tyres its on are a bit out of shape from being sat deflated for years!

I've tracked down one number on the bike frame on the rear by the wheel nut which i think reads "H6157" but the second number is a bit sketchy to read. Bike guy at work has had a look and we're not sure if its been repainted at some point or not but bar the seat and new tyres everything looks pretty original on it.

Can anyone shed any light regarding the bike or possibly point me in a direction to do some digging? I've added the brief photos i've taken of the bike but can add some more if required.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 131

midlife

Guru
Hi

Welcome :smile:

What a lovely looking bike, the Lugs are Capella which are a Carllton through and through and mark of a very nice frame. The H frame number will give a date of manufacture but my PC is playing up and refuses to let me look at the cached pages of the Carlton-me website.

Spokesmann is our resident carlton expert and hopefully will be along soon :smile:

http://spokessmann.tripod.com/

I wish it was mine :smile:

Shaun

Hi, welcome.
As midlife said, you have very nice Carlton and spokesman is a source of info on Carlton's.
If you were interested in how old your cycle is you could look at the back of the brake callipers, you may have to apply them in order to see date numbers stamped into the back of them. The Simplex rear derailleur reminds me of my first cycle from 1967 so I would guess mid 60's to late 70's.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Lovely bike, you're very lucky having it come into your possession. I hope you have plans to restore it to its former glory and get on it and use it. It won't take much, a general clean, new brake cables, bar tape, brake blocks, tyres and inner tubes and perhaps a new chain. I competent DIYer could easily accomplish it. Check the wheels run true.

Just to translate and give you a few terms the 'lugs' Shaun spoke of are the bits where the frame tubes meet and the part where you found the number is called a 'drop out'.

Please don't look at Spokesman's bikes, they're so immaculate you'll just want to give up!

Any advice you want just ask. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

jonb

Cheers guys. Great to hear it's a bit of a classic. Plan is to get it going and use it for commuting to work which I tend to do on two wheels a few times a week. Currently use my Giant mountain bike but it's all road with no great inclines so this will be perfect for the job.

I'm sort of ok with the mechanical stuff but the resident bike guy at work has offered to give me a hand with anything and I think he's slightly jealous of me having it!

OP
OP
J

jonb

Just a quick update....seems after my father in law dug a bit deeper into the garage we've got what seem to be a full set of mudguards for the bike as well. Rear one is a full half circle whilst the front one is a quarter job. Will get them fitted whilst tidying it up i think.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
H prefix puts this at around 1960. Capella lugs.

Top Bottom