Carlton Cobra .Rat bike or refurb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Maybe soak a tube at a time in some plastic guttering

Geofnay

Regular
Well do I keep the frame as is ? or powder coat it .

Run it as a rat bike or in my youth a beater .

Powder coat it and run it as an example of my 1st sports bike . This was a Sun Snipe plus,this involves a head badge change , Which I have .

I have all the parts required .

Your thoughts please . View attachment 638686
View attachment 638687
View attachment 638688
View attachment 638689
View attachment 638690
View attachment 638686
View attachment 638687
View attachment 638688
View attachment 638689
View attachment 638690

I still have one from my youth in (what would have been) the same colour scheme. I always liked the 'grad tint' - blue, silver, smoky grey. Not sure if my frame is as bad - mine is buried in the garage and a 5 speed. Would be good to get it back on the road again ...

OP
OP
B

bagpuss

Guru
Hmm .As the Chrome for the most part is shot .I am going to mask the drop outs off,as it is ok on all four . Also around the lugs is reasonable .Then have it powder coated Silver .

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Restoring that will cost a bomb, re-chroming a full frame these days youa re looking north of £500. There is a certain charm to a patinated machine.

I think it would look a lot better if you tried working on the rust a bit more . It is surprising at times to discover that some of those large rust spots can almost disappear after treating them with acid . Oxalic acid , lemon juice ,rust removing gell, anything which takes your fancy .

OP
OP
B

bagpuss

Guru
Garage time today ....moved to yard ....

Ps anybody ever tried this rattle can ? If so what was the resulting finish ?

1650017981677.png

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Given the state of the frame rat bike is the only realistic way to go. i'd get a roll of emery cloth strip and just remove all the rust pitting plus any degraded chrome, followed by a rattle can paint job at the minimum possible cost.
Carlton Cobras aren't rare, and the frame is a pretty basic plain gauge steel spec. The quality of the bike and the finished value doesn't justify going mad on a restoration. If you want a shiny bling one, go and find a frame with good chrome as a basis for the project. That one will only ever be a rat.

Top Bottom