Carlton criterium

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran
Here is my wet weather commuter
Carlton Criterium frame (scuffed and scratched all over) all sorts of other bits salvaged and scavenged. It looks a state but I love riding it, feels real nice :laugh:
2440152597_235a5e734c_o.jpg

This bike is due for a powder coat soon and a rebuild. Any suggestions on colour? I quite fancied tangerine, nice and bright for the 4x4s to see me/ignore me :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I sort of like the colour it is - maybe take it further towards a Bianchi-esque Celeste blue...?

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
yes, i like the colour it is too, im getting it poweder coated soon so i may not have much choice. Will try to get as close to it maybe. Everything might go out the window once i see all the other colours though ;)

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
I bet you enjoy riding it. Once I get it powdercoated will be putting on some new bits too, new stem, new nitto bullhorns, new brakes(brake holes will need drilling) new wheel set and tires.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tharg2007 said:
I bet you enjoy riding it. Once I get it powdercoated will be putting on some new bits too, new stem, new nitto bullhorns, new brakes(brake holes will need drilling) new wheel set and tires.

Tharq, are you drilling it to accept allen bolt brakes?. I found it was fine on the front fork, plenty of metal thickness...but the bridge on the rear was quite thin :smile:....or so i realised when i drilled it. It looked like it would distort the metal if i tightened the caliper too much, so i bottled it and stuck to nutted calipers on the rear. Gutted really, cos i've bodged it now. The holes really too big for nutted brakes, ...but everything seems to be working fine

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
i was wondering about the rear bridge, i will try to be careful. I am drilling it before it goes for a powdercoat so if i messed it up ill stick a new bridge on it.

gbb

Legendary Member
IIRC the bridge has a tube going diagonally through it for the caliper bolt. By the time i'd opened that tube up to accept the allen nut...it looked painfully thin :biggrin:
As the allen nut only has a small shoulder on it, i thought it would pull into the already thin bridge, so i stayed with a nutted caliper and a hefty washer.
A bodge...cant say i was happy :evil:

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
did you drill it right through or just the underside?

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
just checking the database and maybe i wont need to drill. All I might need to do is just replace the recessed mounting centre bolt with a traditional centre bolt, if this sort of bolt is replaceable that it :biggrin::evil:
bolttypes500.jpg

Or
Mounting recessed calipers on older frames

Rear: Front calipers for recessed mounting have bolts that are long enough to mount in back, if you substitute the appropriate washers and a 6 mm nut. Front: Here are 3 options:
  1. Drill out the back of the fork crown (8 mm or 5/16 drill bit). This is actually quite easy to do with a handheld electric drill, since you're only enlarging an existing hole.That's it if you can get two front calipers. Sometimes, you may have to deal with a pair of brakes, with one long and one short bolt. If you used the long one in back, you can use the short one in front two different ways:
  2. Drill out the back of the fork crown and use an extra-long recessed nut. These nuts are commonly available for use in carbon fiber forks.
  3. Use the short recessed nut, but don't put it through the back of the fork. Instead, push it up into the inside of the steerer from the bottom. You can reach a 5 mm Allen wrench in through the hole in the back of the fork, and poke the short caliper bolt in from the front.You may need to shorten the recessed nut slightly to get it to fit inside your steerer.

OP
OP
Tharg2007

Tharg2007

Veteran
I just replaced the brakes on my carlton and no need for any drilling.
As the above post says I put the front brake with the longer bolt on the back and used an existing washer and nut from the weinman brake to tighten, fitted perfectly. Took the rear brake and put it on the front and used one of the radiussed washers then took the short new hex nut and placed it inside the sterer and held it there with the hex key until I got the front brake on, again fitted perfectly no need for any drilling front or back.

All thanks to Sheldon, i guess he lives on!!

Top Bottom