Carlton Cycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
I have completed the restoration on my trusty 30 (ish )old Carlton cycle.
Have fitted an 8 speed rear gear cassette,however I find this too high geared for me to get up some of the steep hills where I live.
Only use the bottom 4 gears on the flat,I am informed that I should change my single crank from 45 teeth to something lower such as 40 (ish) teeth.
Gratefull for any sugestions or if any one has a crank of smaller size to sell.
Have tried my L.B.S and apart from sugesting I buy a new bike ...no help what so ever.
Thank you
Doug.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You may think this a barbarous suggestion, but I'm not too worried about the looks, so when I turned my racer into a fixie, I never bothered to mess with the chainset. I just have a surplus ring I never use. If that idea doesn't offend, it's not hard to get s/h 53/39 sets off ebay. Then just use the 39 ring and ignore t'other.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Depending on chainset you pick up, you can sometimes discard the big ring, put the smaller one in it's place - probably need some washers to take up the length of the chainring bolts.
Works on my fixed, becasuse chainline is better than having it on "inside" position,
Alternatively - does your existing chainset have removable ring? If so figure out the BCD (here) and post an ad on wanted section for something smaller.

BTW - that's very poor LBS service.

OP
OP
D

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
Thank you for the advise and the attatchment,most interesting and for me informative.
No my chain ring is not detatchable ,beeing welded.
Regards
Doug.

Top Bottom