Carlton Gran Sport project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Here's my latest project, courtesy of my local CTC.
carlton.jpg

A Carlton Gran Tour, in Reynolds 531DB, with some decidedly unfamiliar touches.
12 speed friction DT shifters - SunTour power ratchet, which were quite well thought of in their day.
SunTour front mech, but a Huret rear - I suspect it's not original.
14-30 six speed block, and SR 50/30 (!!) chainset. There was me thinking a 50/34 compact had a big jump between ratios...
A BB dynamo, which is coming off ASAP. As is the front rack.
I've already replaced the tyres with some Schwalbe ones from Spa - 27 by 1 1/4 tyres are a bit thin on the ground these days, but these seem OK. I'm torn about the brakes - Weinmann centerpulls are nicely period, but a complete bitch to set up. I may drop some nutted AlHonga dual pivots on instead. Not as authentic, but at least they'll work without me chucking spanners across the garden.

More posts as we progress!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
very nice indeed keep the centre pulls please

stevevw

Guru
Doc
I think I have a Suntour rear mech in the spares box you would be welcome too. Keep the centre pulls just look out for either levers with a quick release or hangers with the same.
A "G" Clamp and cable pullers will come in handy too.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Managed to sort out the centerpulls, but Jeez that's a dreadful design. I've never needed a third hand tool before, still less a fourth and some ty-raps.
The lever hoods have had it - I tried peeling one back to tape the bars, and it fell to bits. Good job they're still available on a popular auction site. Tan hoods and matching bar tape, I think. Other than that, it is now ridable :biggrin:
@stevevw - many thanks, that's a kind offer
Once the bike's fit to be seenI shall ride over and collect the mech, if I may.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Found a pair of cream coloured hoods, so they're now on.
Bars are taped, and I've taken it for a short spin :biggrin:
first of many i hope

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Absolutely! I'll be off to the bike shop on it soon - the LHS pedal is stick solid, and I want to replace the quill pedals with SPDs.
Authenticity is fine, but I do want to ride the thing!

Top Bottom