Carlton-Newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carltonbanks

Hi there just bought my first road bike, and I know very little about it, can anyone tell me what model it is or even what year it is?

Also how much is it worth?

I'm considering doing a restoration on it, not for financial gain but just out of interest, are there any how to guides on here?

Thanks
Bryan

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
The Cyclone is one of the later Carltons, from around late 1970s, not a high end machine, but certainly worth preserving and bringing back to parade standard. Present condition worth around £45-50 mark.

What are you plans for it, please don't say single speed fixie....
tongue.gif

casper-d

"Hi there just bought my first road bike"

Any with tender care you may never need to buy another!

casper

Goldie

Über Member
As a bonus, your Cyclone looks like it's got a rather nice Suntour slant parallelogram rear derailleur on board, which should be lovely to use. These http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1202 are great, and would go nicely with the derailleur at the front end.

I've never seen reproduction Carlton Cyclone decals but give Lloyds http://www.hlloydcycles.com/ a call - not everything they produce is listed in their catalogue, and they do a wide range of Carlton decals some of which might take your fancy if those for your bike aren't available. As Spokesmann says, this wouldn't have been at the top of Carlton's range, but with some TLC it should still ride very nicely.

Here's my own Cyclone, which I sold last year. Not as nicely equipped as yours is:

P.S. Absolutely brilliant username ;)

DSC02470.jpg

OP
OP
carltonbanks

carltonbanks

Thanks for the replies! I'm a complete newbie, know nothing about the bikes but i just sold my bmx(what a mistake) for a nice profit and decided to get something i could do more distance on. I think I may have got my fingers burnt as I paid £130 for it. As for restoration, I am keen to restore all the brightwork to its former polished glory but I shall be changing the colour of the bike for something more modern

Bobtoo

Über Member
£130 is a bit on the high side but I don't think it's entirely unreasonable if everything is in good condition. If you get a few years of service out of it, and you should if you look after it, the purchase price hardly matters.

OP
OP
carltonbanks

carltonbanks

Right bin a fair while since i updated this, enjoyed riding the bike as it was for a good few months then one day BANG! something happened and the gears were kaput! Couldnt afford to repair it so removed all the gubbins and shortened the chain making it single speed......fast forward a month and with a little money in the bank i decided to get on with it.....

Resprayed frame in Peugeot Iron Grey
Chopped handle bars and flipped them giving bull horn bars
Orange handle bar tape
Arbrosio crank and pedals
New wheels
New tyres
New gear
Running rear brake only (stupid I know)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
carltonbanks the most important thing is that are you enjoying it , if the answer is yes well done .

and only 1 bike how

Top Bottom