Carlton Pro am

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Despite your rather nice paint jobs shown in other threads I think this one looks lovely as it is (looks very similar to my Raleigh Competition - built by Carlton. Lovely bike to ride if the frames are as similar as they look)
Yes ! I agree it does look very much like the Competition. I have a Carlton Competition which was sold as a frame only.

The Pro Am is one of my all time favourite bikes! I nearly bought one in 1980 but ended up with a Criterium instead (which was stolen within 6 months). The ice blue colour scheme with dark blue lining was bang on trend, very modern, clean and uncluttered.
That's in really good condition, so many of these have a serious rust problem, don't know if it's the paint or what.
It seems as though they might have skipped some of the metal/ paint pre treatment .

Could be. I was wondering if there was maybe a problem with the paint or clearcoat themselves (a bit like red cars of a certain age).

Absolutely, particularly when there don't seem to be many good'uns about!

Before the introduction of basecoat and clear, metallic colours were more susceptible to weathering due to the way that aluminium flakes lie in the paint, making the paint more porous.
I don't see why some partial restoration shouldn't be done as it can improve the look of a bike as well as preserve it in preventing it from deteriorating further. What was called blow ins! Small areas could be treated and the colour gradually faded out into the existing paintwork . This method could be done by a competent person at home , whereas it may be too expensive to have done professionally due to the amount of masking up and the number of small repairs needed.

Top Bottom