Carlton Quandary.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Some time ago I rescued a Carlton Carrera from the local council tip. I took it home, gave it a rub down, fit new tyres tubes and cables. When I stood back and looked at it I was pleasantly surprised at what I had found. The paintwork is in my opinion is in quite good condition and the bike seems to be fitted with good quality parts which are probably original. There are a couple of issues though. I researched the Carrera and I believe it was originally fitted with chromed front forks but mine has had them replaced with what seem to be the correct type of fork but finished in black. The other issue is that it would benefit from a replacement 52 tooth chain ring, the one on the bike has three teeth missing and it looks as if it has been like that for some time because they are 'rounded off' though having said that, I have ridden the bike (gently) without any problems.
I have decided to sell it on but am undecided whether to sell 'as is' and go for a quick sale or should I source a set of chromed forks and new chainset. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd keep it and modernise it a touch but if you do decide to sell make sure you include 'Eroica' in the advert, regarding the forks are you sure that they're not original and have been refinished due to the chrome being pitted.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
any chance the moderators could move this across to the Vintage and Classic Bikes section of the forum please

Mod note: moved. The quickest way to get this kind of request noted is to report the post, and type your request in the report box.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I'd keep it and modernise it a touch but if you do decide to sell make sure you include 'Eroica' in the advert, regarding the forks are you sure that they're not original and have been refinished due to the chrome being pitted.
Thanks for your input Raleighnut, I am fairly sure the forks are not origional, they are finished in a satin black and do not suit the bike colour at all.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
any chance the moderators could move this across to the Vintage and Classic Bikes section of the forum please

Mod note: moved. The quickest way to get this kind of request noted is to report the post, and type your request in the report box.
ok wasn't sure but thanks

Top Bottom