Carrara Subway 1 or 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clemenza

I am really interested in upgrading my Carrara Parva to the Subway, primarily for the disk brakes. However, I’m not sure which option to select, as I’ve heard that the Hydraulic brakes as fitted on the Subway 2 can be an expensive fix, if they fail.

Any comments relating to this or associated issues would be very welcome.

Thanks

Alex321

Veteran
Hydraulic over cable every day.

They don't often fail, but are much better for modulation and general feel.

Not sure they would be all that expensive to repair if they do fail anyhow.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hydraulic are better and less fiddly to adjust. Also not sure about expense to fix as you can buy a complete hydraulic brake system for £25 from Halfords including calliper, disc and lever.

If you don't mind my asking, is the bike you have dead? Wrong size?

If not, I wouldn't worry about the brakes.

V brakes are perfectly adequate for the kind of riding that a Carrera Subway is designed for. Rather than spending the money on a new bike, I'd get a better quality pair of wheels. That would transform the performance of your existing bike and you would find they last a lot longer - I have wheels that are 30 years old and have never needed truing because they were well really well built in the first place.

Ask SJS Cycles or Spa Cycles to build you a set. That really is an upgrade!

vickster

Legendary Member
If you don't mind my asking, is the bike you have dead? Wrong size?

If not, I wouldn't worry about the brakes.

V brakes are perfectly adequate for the kind of riding that a Carrera Subway is designed for. Rather than spending the money on a new bike, I'd get a better quality pair of wheels. That would transform the performance of your existing bike and you would find they last a lot longer - I have wheels that are 30 years old and have never needed truing because they were well really well built in the first place.

Ask SJS Cycles or Spa Cycles to build you a set. That really is an upgrade!

Or just better tyres suitable for your riding.
And new brake pads if required.

Not sure I’d spend £300 on wheels for a £300 bike unless current ones are knackered

sleuthey

Legendary Member
A vote for v brakes from me I'm afraid.
They aren't expensive but hydraulic ones aren't as easy to fix in The field than Vs.
Spend the money on some good tyres and pads. I find Clarke's Elite food value.

OP
OP
C

Clemenza

Or just better tyres suitable for your riding.
And new brake pads if required.

Not sure I’d spend £300 on wheels for a £300 bike unless current ones are knackered

Thanks for the various responses. I love my Parva, and I’ve managed to fit mudguards on it that work really well. I was given the bike so its all positive.

Top Bottom